cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpa109
Level 5

Uninstall Removes Virtual Directory

We've just discovered an issue with our virtual directories that I'm hoping someone may have a work around for it.

We are using an InstallScript project that creates virtual directories. The project originated in IS12, upgraded to IS2008, then IS2009, and will probably go to IS2010.

The version of our software has also been upgraded, with our releases coinciding with our usage of version of IS. Meaning, version 1.0 of our product was done in IS12, version 2.0 is in 2009 (no 2008 due to timing), version 3.0 is also in 2009, may be 2010.

So, in version 1.0, we create a virtual directory, VDIR pointing to C:\Program Files\Version1.0. In version 2.0, the user installs to C:\Program Files\Version2.0, but uses the same virtual directory VDIR. We have a function that updates the path in IIS, so now VDIR is correctly pointing to the 2.0 location.

If we uninstall 1.0 (the IS12 installer), the 2.0 product and the upgraded VDIR remains on the system, no problem. We tested this before release, and we were happy.

Thinking that the same would be true from upgrading 2.0 to 3.0, now installing to C:\Program Files\Version3.0, and updating the path in IIS so VDIR points to the correct 3.0 location, if we now uninstall 2.0, the virtual directory VDIR also gets removed, even though the path has been modified, and it was installed by the new installer. This is behaving differently than the IS12 uninstall. This is a problem.

So, any thoughts on what we can do to the version 3.0 installer to tell the version 2.0 uninstaller to NOT remove the virtual directory if the 3.0 installer is upgrading an existing one?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
NamitaB
Level 5

find the action for removing virtual directory I dont remmeber the name but go the the names of the custom action and you would recognize it with the name and dor that action give the condition

for uninstallaitaiton NOT INSTALLED
0 Kudos
mpa109
Level 5

We're using InstallScript, I don't think we can do that.

It's just a little frustrating that this worked in installations between IS12 and IS2008, but IS2008 breaks IS2009.
0 Kudos