cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_H
Level 7

Unable to open cab files with CabFile Viewer

I'm unable to open any of my cab files that were created with InstallScript MSI 2010. If I try to open the cab file, I set the type .cab, then I get the error " Error 130, Could not open HDR file"
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Depending on the .cab file, perhaps you can view its contents directly, assuming a recent version of Windows? The .cab files MSI uses are Microsoft-format files, where the InstallScript ones are the ones you can open with the InstallShield Cabinet File Viewer tool.
wollka
Level 4

Dean H wrote:
I'm unable to open any of my cab files that were created with InstallScript MSI 2010. If I try to open the cab file, I set the type .cab, then I get the error " Error 130, Could not open HDR file"
Cab File Viewer allows to extract InstallShield CABs built from InstallScript Project. InstallScript MSI/Basic MSI Projects make sandard Microsoft Cabinets. You can open them in Windows Explorer or extract with any compression utility (WinZIP, WinRAR).
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

I'm getting the error message when I try to use the InstallShield Cab viewer. I have not tried to open the cab file with any other program, just wondering why the InstallShield cab viewer is unable to open the files?
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

OK I opened the cab file with Windows Explorer, although some of the files are visible, the majority of the files show up as GUIDs so I'm unable to actually see the files I'm looking for.
0 Kudos
wollka
Level 4

Dean H wrote:
OK I opened the cab file with Windows Explorer, although some of the files are visible, the majority of the files show up as GUIDs so I'm unable to actually see the files I'm looking for.
This is how MSI works. I think you have choosen "dynamic file linking" in InstallShield. Also it does not store the directory structure. Windows Installer will extract and rename files on install. Why do you need this at all? Why not just install the program and use the installed files?
0 Kudos