Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinHBS
Level 3

Unable to find how to register DLL's into the GAC and NGEN them

Jump to solution

Hi

i am struglling with this for days! I have IS Express 2019

I am trying to find how i can Install DLL's into the GAC and NGEN them on the target machines.

i find some post that say you need to create a component (How?? Where?? iOnly thing related to components that i see is called Component services and that seem to be for COM+ stuff.. Then they say on the post to have one DLL by component, then set the dll as the keyfile! Where is all that stuff that these post are talking about?? I am lost.. I sent an email to support with High priority but still no answers..  ANyone could please explain ? SO far, i tried creating a feature (maybe thats what they meant by components??) and i select taht feature and add one of the DLL int the [GlobalAssemblyCache] folder, but thats all.. dnt know where to go to do such a simplpe task..

thanks in advance for any help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

It looks like you are using express version of installshield, where we dont have option to pre compile this, you can try our professional and premier version for pre compile .net dll at build time, please refer screenshot,.net pre compile.PNG

Refer help .net precompile 

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/ComponentSettings.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi MartinHBS,

Installshield Express version doesnt have components view, its available in premier and professional versions, 

for express version you need to select the GAC from list of available predefined folder and then add the dll  you want to install under GAC, Refer below screenshot,   

Right click under destination computer --> select "Show Predefined folders" --> select Global AssemblyCache

Express GAC.PNG

Once you select GAC from predefined folder then it will be available under Destination folder, then select and add dll files, for registration you need to select the added dll and right click select properties -->  select COM and .Net setting tab --> on Registration filed select self registration or Extract COM information , and then build and install your setup.

Dll registration Express.PNG

Hope it helps

Kind Regards,

Vijay.A

0 Kudos
Hello Varul
Sorry for the delay and than you so much for your answer! I wander why i couldnt find this anywhere... ALso, as my last question, how can i Use NGen with my version of installshield? i cant seem to find this anywhere..
thansk again
0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

It looks like you are using express version of installshield, where we dont have option to pre compile this, you can try our professional and premier version for pre compile .net dll at build time, please refer screenshot,.net pre compile.PNG

Refer help .net precompile 

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/ComponentSettings.htm

0 Kudos
MartinHBS
Level 3

thanks much for the help on this

0 Kudos