cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blaza76
Level 3

UnInstall does not delete some of the files and directories.

Hello,

I use InstallShield 2009 IS-MSI project. When I call the Remove from the Maintenance dialog or from the Add/Remove Programs some of the directories and files remain undeleted after the uninstall process finishes. What is the reason for that and how can I fix it? I do not modify those files which are not deleted.

I appreciate your help on this one!
Thanks!
blaza76
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

Hi,

Please note that files that were not installed with the setup will not be removed during uninstallation. So if these files are created by your application, for example, then they will not be removed by default by the setup.

Another common cause of files being left behind during uninstall is if the shared count for the files has become off on the machine so that Windows Installer still thinks that the files are in use by a different install. To see if this is the case, you can install your setup on a clean machine. Then uninstall it immediately to see if the files were removed.

If the shared reference count does not seem to be the problem, then you may want to log the uninstallation to see if that yields any clues.

How to enable Windows Installer logging
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300/en-us

Note that multiple log files may be created for an InstallScript MSI setup.

-Ajay
0 Kudos