cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angelleye
Level 2

Troubles with permissions and desktop shortcuts..??

I've got a runtime solution for Windows that was created using FileMaker Pro. It gives me an .exe (and a bunch of dll's, etc.) that I wrap up using InstallShield to deliver. I'm having some issues that I can't seem to figure out, though.

First, if I install my application to C:/Program Files and try to follow the standard of software installed on Windows then I end up with write permission errors when I try to use the application. I have to manually add modify/write privileges for the User group on the computer to my software's install directory. With this method, though, the desktop shortcut shows up just fine after installing and all users of the machine can use the software.

To get around the permissions issue I can use USERPROFILE as the install directory instead, however, then every user on the computer would have to install the software for themselves. This isn't the end of the world, though, so we decided to go ahead with this method, but then I ran into another problem. It seems that when I use this install path instead of Program Files the desktop shortcut doesn't get created after installation. I've double checked that the Desktop Shortcut option was enabled in InstallShield while creating the installer. When I install the software, though, it doesn't show up on the desktop. I have to create it myself manually.

Any information on how I can get around these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
angelleye
Level 2

Anybody..??
0 Kudos