cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBradley
Level 3

Trouble deploying VS 2012 Professional projects using Install Shield LE

I’ve written a couple programs using VS 2012 Professional and am trying to deploy them using Install Shield LE Spring 2012 version. I’ve watched the 5 minute Install Shield LE video, but it uses the VS 2010 version and doesn’t correspond well with VS 2012. For instance, at the 1:00 minute mark in the video where you right click on the Solution, select Add and then select New Project, there isn’t a New Project to select. At the 2:15 mark where you add the Application Files, there are no Project Outputs listed to add.

I've tried a variety of ways but can't seem to get any to work. I hope I’m just missing something simple and someone can point me in the right direction.
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

From the description, I understand you do not find Setup and Deployment project type when you try to add a project to the existing solution. That means the VS and IS integration may have some issues, may be due to sequence in which these two products have been installed.

Please close all instances of Visual Studio and InstallShield on the machine and try running "Repair" of InstallShield through the Control panel. That should fix the integration issue and you should be able to use ISLE along with Visual Studio without any issues.

Let me know the result.

Thanks and Regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
JBradley
Level 3

Swetha,

Thanks for your reply.

I was trying to follow the VS 2010 video where you right clicked on the Solution to get to Add New Project, which wasn't a choice on VS 2012.

I finally noticed that on the first screen of VS 2012 is where to get to Add New Project. The remainder of the video could be followed for VS 2012 and I was able to create a successful build.

Now I'm in the process of figuring out what I need to copy to a CD to distribute the project. If you have the answer to that I would greatly appreciate it.
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

In your setup project, please navigate to Prepare for Release -> Releases, expand the Builds and you will find options to build your setup on CD-ROM, DVD, etc...

Please find more information on the same, under the topic "Media Types", in your ISLE help library.

Best regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
JBradley
Level 3

Hi again,

I have a successful Build for my project and am trying to save create a CD for deployment to other computers. When I got to the dependencies screen to add .NET Framework 4.5 to the media, I got a message that it wasn’t on my computer or there was a more recent version available, and did I want to download it from Flexera. Even though the latest is already on my computer I clicked the download button, and got a message that the download failed, to make sure I'm running as the Administrator and am connected to the internet.

First of all, I have the latest version of .NET Framework 4.5 on my computer (freshly downloaded from Microsoft). Next, I am running as the Administrator, and lastly, I am connected to the internet.

What am I missing? Someone please help. Thanks.

While I'm full of questions, here's another I don't know the answer to. I have several files that my program uses to fill rich text boxes and picture boxes. The file paths are in the code. My question is, do these files get included in the basic solution build (i.e., from the Primary Output & Source files) or do they have to be separately added? I added them separately into the Source files directory.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Try to Manually download dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe
from the link http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/a/4/ba4a7e71-2906-4b2d-a0e1-80cf16844f5f/dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe

After downloading the standalone installer copy into below location and set "Follow Individual Selections" in setup.exe tab under releases view.
C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012SpringLE\SetupPrerequisites\Microsoft .net\4.5\Full\dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe

If you include the content files to the Installshield setup project, there is no need to add them separately into the Source files directory.

Please refer the below link for example on adding project outputs:
http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/installtalk/2012/11/using-installshield-to-create-an-installation-that-installs-windows-services.html

Thanks~
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos