cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Triggering a CA with "Commit Execution in System Context"

I have a custom action that will not work because the app that is being called has dependencies on some Microsoft dependencies that are also part of the install, but are in SxS merge module.

Since the Side By Side Microsoft files do not get installed until after InstallFinalize I figured that I would have to schedule the CA to be triggered after that sequence. So I set the CA to Commit Execution in System Context and placed in After InstallFinalize.

According to the help Commint Execution custom actions get triggered after InstallFinalize, but when I build the install it will give me a warning that this custom action is deferred and must be sequenced between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize. Will it work correctly if I move it before InstallFinalize??

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Commit custom actions are implicitly deferred actions also (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368069(VS.85).aspx). As such, they still need to be sequenced between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize to be written correctly into the installation script generated by MSI at runtime. From my understanding, commit custom actions are queued up for execution during the installation, and are then run after InstallFinalize if InstallFinalize successfully committed the installation.
0 Kudos