cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred
Level 3

Translate from IS6.3.... Help needed !

Hello, I am new to IS2015..
In my company, all our installers (10) are based on IS6.3 + PackageForTheWeb...
Those installer are invoked by some packaging scripts that also manage Clearcase file updating and others "in house" stuff.
So we had to use XP (in a virtual machine) in order to make it worj since IS6.3 do not work on W7x64...

So I was aked to migrate to IS2015...
I really want to find an automatic way to translate my IS6.3 project into IS2015... but the automatic import import fails to do that.
I am affraid about the idea that I have to rewrite my 10 installers projets...

Is it possible (or not) to automaticaly translate my IS6.3 projects into IS2015 one ??
If yes how to do that ?

If no, what do you suggest me ?

I tried to build a basic MSI project but fall into many issues such as
- Cannot build INSTALLDIR from Product Name (or other variable) -> Should I use an InstallScript project and customize TARGETDIR ??
- It's a pity to integrate MY vc_redist and MY .Net4.5 as prerequisite into the setup.exe single exe
- Where can I find the command line in order to automate creating setup.exe from my script ? I used to call ISBuild -p -m -r then after pftwwiz.exe -a

thanks for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
MarkusLatz
Level 8

I have also a project that I have migrated from IS6.3 to IS 7.0 to IS 9.0 to IS 2010 to IS 2016.

And that worked. But in each release I have to update the things that had changed.

What I can offer you is, that if you have a project that you can send me I will try to migrate through all my InstallShield versions and check were it run into trouble.

regards

Markus
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:
What I can offer you is, that if you have a project that you can send me I will try to migrate through all my InstallShield versions and check were it run into trouble.
Markus

Hi Markus,

many thanks for your answer and many other thanks for your proposal !

Attached is 2 ZIPs file of one of my installer project (IS6.3). Since I don't know if the source files should exist in order your translation works, I have also ZIPPED them so... it's quite huge:

• DiaTech.7z (287M) is the ZIP file containing IS6.3 files AND the compiled MEDIA files (of my last build)
  • Files.7z (262M) is the ZIP file of my source files. The installers files refers to them using relative path (starting with ..\files\*)

Both ZIP should be UNZIPPED into the same directory. They must be sibling items.

Since I am using IS2015 (no maintenance to upgrade to 2016 !) You can Stop your conversion at IS2010.

... hummm, it looks like the Attachments process fails... I am unable to attach my ZIPs.
So I put them in our FTP. Here are the links:
ftp://temento-ftp:temento.com@87.240.82.137/FTP-partage/DiaTech.7z
ftp://temento-ftp:temento.com@87.240.82.137/FTP-partage/Files.7z

I also let you my email : frederic.prin@temento.com

Please let me know if the download works !
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:

Markus

oops my post seems to have failed... I start again.

So I was saying many thanks for your proposal.
Since I use IS2015 you can stop with the nearest below version you have that seems to be IS2010.

Here below are the 2 zips needed to build one of my installer (FTP links since attachment on this forum seems to fail...)

You must unzip this to archive on the same directory since they must be sibling items in order the IS project can access the source files using relative ..\Files\* path.

Let me know if you need more material or details or info or wtahever (coffe will be difficult to pass into ethernet wires or wifi waves...)

Here is my email in order not to waste the forum. frederic.prin@temento.com

and once again many thanks for your help !

Hope to heard from you very soon.

best regards,
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:

Markus

oops my post seems to have failed... I start again.

So I was saying many thanks for your proposal.
Since I use IS2015 you can stop with the nearest below version you have that seems to be IS2010.

Here below are the 2 zips needed to build one of my installer (FTP links since attachment on this forum seems to fail...)

You must unzip this to archive on the same directory since they must be sibling items in order the IS project can access the source files using relative ..\Files\* path.

Let me know if you need more material or details or info or wtahever (coffe will be difficult to pass into ethernet wires or wifi waves...)

once again many thanks for your help !

Hope to heard from you very soon.

best regards,
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:
I have also a project that I have migrated from IS6.3 to IS 7.0 to IS 9.0 to IS 2010 to IS 2016.

And that worked. But in each release I have to update the things that had changed.

regards

Markus

Hello Markus and many thanks for your proposal.
I am trying to post you an answer since yesterday but.... unfortunatly my post seems to fail (without any error message).
So this is just a short message to tell you that I will be very please if you can help me by translating my project.
I also let you a private with my email in order I can send you the FTP links to download my projects and source files (about 400MB)

Did you receive it ?

(hope this simple test post will work)
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

Fred@Temento wrote:
Hello Markus and many thanks for your proposal.
I am trying to post you an answer since yesterday but.... unfortunatly my post seems to fail (without any error message).
So this is just a short message to tell you that I will be very please if you can help me by translating my project.
I also let you a private with my email in order I can send you the FTP links to download my projects and source files (about 400MB)

Did you receive it ?

(hope this simple test post will work)

Hello markus and Happy new year !

Regarding your proposal and the fact that you succeed to translate one of my project, I wanted to know if you still want to send the translation to me ?
If yes, Il will be please to get it !

Many thanks,
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

Hi Frederic,

just checked my e-mail and I send the translated project files on 19th December 2017 to you. I could resend or upload here to the forum. Let me know what to do ?

regards

Markus
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:
Hi Frederic,

just checked my e-mail and I send the translated project files on 19th December 2017 to you. I could resend or upload here to the forum. Let me know what to do ?

regards

Markus

oops... I am affraid that I never received it (I just check my spam folder and did not find your mail... strange.
I got found one mail from you for this date but it did not have any attached doc.
Maybe the file was too large for my mail provider... Can you resend it with a "read receipt" or send it to me via a "large file send" system ?

I will send you a mail right now in order we follow up on our private mails !!
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

I send you only the modified project files. So the e-mail was approx. 2 MB.

I just resend the e-mail. Let me know if you received.

regards

Markus
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

I will... up to now : no !
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

Looks like if there is an attachment you do not receive ....

Let me try some thing else ...

regards

Markus
0 Kudos
Fred
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:
Looks like if there is an attachment you do not receive ....

Let me try some thing else ...

regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

thnaks for your help.
I did have a new try and find out why my IS2015 was not properly importing my IS6.3 old project : Since my files are under sous control (CLearCase) they were all ReadOnly and it appear that IS2015 fais to import in such case (but without issuing an error about that).

The translatted project do not work immediatly anyway. I have to reset a lot og general information but the main part of feature/components are kept and this is what I wanted to be kept !

So thanks again, the case is closed

I was using IS2015SP2 and I will surrely go to IS2016 soon (better prerequisite library)
0 Kudos