cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pactis
Level 2

The installation package is not supported by this processor type

I am getting the following error when trying to run a compiled installshield build on a 32 bit machine"

"The installation package is not supported by this processor type"

This package had been working earlier in the day and I have no idea what may have changed within the project. I rebuilt other project packages and they do not have any issues.

I checked the Template Summary property and it is set to 'Intel;1033' so this should be ok.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this package would take a while to be rebuilt.

Thanks
Paul
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(15) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

What target machine was this package run on that encountered this error? Does this happen even with a test project built with no changes made to it?
0 Kudos

Target is: ;1033 I don't specify Intel as it usually means x86. I have a common feature that is neither x86 or x64 and separate features for x86 file and x64 files. I set the ReleaseFlags accordingly for each custom feature. In Setup Design, I see the correct components associated with their custom feature and the Release Flags are correct too. Then in release, I make two. One that has Release Flags x86 and one x64. My experience has been that the install from the x86 can't install on a x86 OS. I get the same message as listed in the subject. Any thoughts to why? Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos

Hi @MattQVI ,

Hope you are in right path.But just to verify the steps you had done are proper,you can go through this KB article:

https://blogs.flexera.com/installtalk/2011/01/building-32-bit-and-64-bit-installations-from-the-same-installshield-project/

The below link can help you to understand more about supporting both 32-bit ,64-bit installations in single setup project file:

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/isxhelp21/helplibrary/IHelp64BitSupport.htm

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Thank you for your help Jenifer.

I added the CA but keep getting an error when running.  See the attached.

0 Kudos

Is there something else that needs to be done for this to work?

0 Kudos

Hi @MattQVI ,

Hope you are trying to set x64 INSTALLDIR custom action.If so did you try these:

• Created separate features with release flags
  • Created components if it is of 64-bit,set 64-bit component set to "Yes"
  • Release Configurations / flags
         Create two release configurations (say 32bReleaseConfig & 64bReleaseConfig) using Release Wizard. Set the values as follows for both the releases.

64 bit

32 bit

Product Configuration Flags

x64

x86

Template Summary

x64;1033

Intel;1033

• Create SetProperty custom action with properties as below:
    • Setx64INSTALLDIRCA.PNG

With these you will be able to distinguish INSTALLDIR in 32-bit and pure 64-bit windows.For more details you can enable log via General Information->Create MSI logs and check

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Jenifer, Thanks for the reply. I had done all that. It looks like it was the Custom Action itself. I set up a Set Directory CA and not a SetProperty CA. Now that is working as expected. The only remaining question is with the TemplateSummary set to INTEL;1033 for the 32-bit, how do I prevent it from being installed on 64-bit? I originally had x86;1033 but now it won't let me install 32 on a 32. Thanks. Matt
0 Kudos

From looking at the MSI log, the INSTALLDIR property is being updated correctly.  However, I have a post install CA that executes from INSTALLDIR as "[INSTALLDIR]\QVIPortalPostInstall.exe" but for some reason, the directory is the one with x86 and I am running the 64-bit install on a 64-bit OS.  Any ideas why it's not working?  Is there something else that needs to be done.

0 Kudos

Hi @MattQVI ,

Answering to your first question:

• "how do I prevent it from being installed on 64-bit? I originally had x86;1033 but now it won't let me install 32 on a 32"
  • Answering to your second question:"but for some reason, the directory is the one with x86 and I am running the 64-bit install on a 64-bit OS.  Any ideas why it's not working? "
    • When you say 64-bit OS, it has to be pure 64-BIT OS.How can you validate this?
      • You can validate by checking the value of ISReleaseFlags value in MSI log .It has to be x64 there. 

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Again, all good information Jenifer. Thanks. The LaunchCondition is specified at the project level in General Information. My project handles 32 and 64-bit installs. Adding what you suggested now prevents the install from installing at all. Is there any way to add a check for ISReleaseFlags to the condition?
0 Kudos

Hi @MattQVI, "My project handles 32 and 64-bit installs. Adding what you suggested now prevents the install from installing at all" Does that what you want or something else? Answering to your question:Is there any way to add a check for ISReleaseFlags to the condition? As mentioned in CA-based approach it will work perfectly fine if it is of pure 64-bit machine.Is your requirement to restrict 32-bit installer on 64-bit generic windows? Thanks, Jenifer
0 Kudos

Jenifer,

Yes that is the goal.  Do not allow a 32 bit install on 64 bit OS and vice versa.  Thanks for all of your help.

0 Kudos

Hi @MattQVI, Look like specific CA based approach doesn't work in 64-bit windows. But did you give a try in pure 64-bit machines? I had validated that setup created for 64-bit installer using same approach isn't allowing it to be installed on 32-bit machines.I guess "Intel;1033" would be the cause which you mention at Product Configuration Template Summary,which might work on 64-bit machines as well. Having launch condition doesn't help to restrict that to be installed on 64-bit machine?That would be the ideal way to solve your problem!! Thanks, Jenifer
0 Kudos

Jenifer,

I was able to make CA for errors when trying to install the wrong version.  But when I run 64 on 32 bit OS, I get a Windows Installer message that says "The installation package is not supported by this processor type" instead of the nice one I added with the CA.  Just curious as to why that is?

It works as expected when I try to run 32 on 64-bit OS and notifies the end user that they should run the 64-bit version of the install instead.

0 Kudos

Hi @MattQVI ,

That is because you would have added template summary property of 64xconfig(Product Configuration's template summary property) to be x64;1033 which blocks installation to be proceeded in 32-bit windows .But 32xconfig(Product configuration's template summary) property Intel;1033 which works on both 32-bit & 64-bit windows where it won't work on pure 64-bit i guess.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos