cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loralynne
Level 6

Template Summary Property

I've read different things about what to put for the language portion of the Template Summary property. According to Microsoft, "the Template Summary property indicates the platform and language versions that are compatible with this installation database" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372070%28VS.85%29.aspx.) According to InstallShield documentation, the installation's default language is supposed to be listed. However, it also says "if your installation supports multiple products and you want to have multiple entries in the language category—for example, 1033 for English and 1031 for German—separate them with a comma."

I have a basic MSI with six different languages (English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Swedish) for the Setup Languages property. For my release, I have the following settings:

Data Languages: Language Independent
UI Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Swedish
Default Language: English

Although I specify only these six languages for the setup/UI, I want the user to still be able to install on, say, a Spanish machine. Can someone tell me what is the correct way to fill out the Template Summary property?

Thanks,
Lora
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
AlexLampard
Level 4

It is not mandatory to set the fields in the template summary property.You may choose to do so in case you want to override the settings in General information view.If you install the same Basic MSI project on a Spanish system it should work.

I tried installing the basic MSI project built with the following specifications on a Russian operating system and it worked.

Data Languages: Language Independent
UI Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Swedish
Default Language: English
0 Kudos
loralynne
Level 6

Right, I leave the Template Summary blank under Releases. I'm talking about the Template Summary property under General Settings -> Summary Information Stream.
0 Kudos
AlexLampard
Level 4

Template Summary field is read by the installer when the setup is launched. It checks to see if there are any conditions to be satisfied (Processor specific conditions) before the installer runs on the destination machine.

If you wish to run the installer only on an Intel 32 bit processor you can specify the value as Intel.

For Intel 64 bit it is Intel64.

For an AMD processor you can specify the value as AMD.

If you wish to run the installer on a 64 bit processor then you can specify the value as x64.

In case you wish to leave the template summary field blank you can choose to do so. The installer would run only on a 32 bit operating system.
0 Kudos
loralynne
Level 6

I already know what to put for the processor. My question is about the language.
0 Kudos
AlexLampard
Level 4

The entry for language in the template summary field dosen't alter the way the installer works.In all of our releases we use the default 1033 value(English).The installer picks up the language settings from the entries in the setup language and default language property.
0 Kudos