cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asalim
Level 2

TFS Build issue

Hi,

I have added a setup project in my solution and am able to build setup project on my machine. When I push the build through build server I get following error message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2013Limited\InstallShield.targets(108,3): error : -7159: The product license has expired or has not yet been initialized.

Initially, build agents were running under NT Authority\Network Service. I changed the user to my account and still received the error. I have also run TSConfig to activate InstallShield.

I also logged on to the build server and created a sample setup project in VS 2012 and was able to build it successfully.

What am I missing? Any ideas/suggestions?

Regards,
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

When using TFS, this error is known to be thrown if the Build Controller service's configuration is set to run using credentials that do not have administrator privileges, such as the NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService account.

Since you can log in directly with your account and successfully build, but are unable to build when switching the TFS account to your credentials, I would investigate any differences in permissions/access between the two.
0 Kudos
barbara_winkler
Level 3

jkell wrote:
When using TFS, this error is known to be thrown if the Build Controller service's configuration is set to run using credentials that do not have administrator privileges, such as the NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService account.

Since you can log in directly with your account and successfully build, but are unable to build when switching the TFS account to your credentials, I would investigate any differences in permissions/access between the two.

Note that we run the build server as a special user. And no, that user doesn't have administrator privileges. Nevertheless, the build works correctly when someone is logged in interactively as that user and runs the build. The build does not work when the build server runs the build as it should, as a service, in the background, as exactly the same user.

"error : -7159: The product license has expired or has not yet been initialized."
0 Kudos
barbara_winkler
Level 3

barbara.winkler-wolff wrote:
Note that we run the build server as a special user. And no, that user doesn't have administrator privileges. Nevertheless, the build works correctly when someone is logged in interactively as that user and runs the build. The build does not work when the build server runs the build as it should, as a service, in the background, as exactly the same user.

"error : -7159: The product license has expired or has not yet been initialized."

And yes, when then that user has administrative rights, the build can run even if it is run in the background as a service.
0 Kudos