cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IntyStu
Level 3

SystemFolder not available

I've been getting to grips with InstallShield 2008 for the last little while and am baffled by my latest problem.. In the Files and Folders section I have no option to view the pre-defined folder 'SystemFolder', it simply isn't available on the drop-down list of folders to view. I have the System16 and System64 folders, but not the standard System Folder..

Has anyone got an idea of where it's gone?? Starting a new project shows the folder to be available, just not in our project :mad:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It sounds like the system folder has been removed from this project. This can be fixed in the direct editor, Directory table, by adding the missing row - you can look at the same table in a new project to verify the values that need to be in the row.
0 Kudos
IntyStu
Level 3

Michael, I believe you have just saved the day! Many thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 7

This just happened to me in IS2011. Adding the entry back in (essentially duplicating what was in another project) in the direct editor Directory table did the trick.
Why on earth does this disappear? This has happened to me with SystemFolder64 and now SystemFolder.
0 Kudos
SMadden
Level 6

the same happened to me in IS 2012.

Turns out that deleting a CA that runs an exe from a location in the Directory table, also deletes the DirectoryTable entry it's using.

So if you delete a CA that needs to run something from the Windows or SystemFolder, the chances are high that your project is hosed until you fix up the Directory table manually.

I think it's nice that the IS IDE wants to clean up after removing a CA, but they should define some protected Directory entries that can never be deleted and for the Custom ones run a query first to see if they are used somewhere else before deleting.

I just filed a support incident for this. Let's see if it gets fixed anytime soon.
0 Kudos