cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slalande50
Level 5

Support files not deleted after installation as mentioned in documentation.

I presently have multiple InstallShield project which all have Support Files.

These files are added under the "Support Files/Language Independent"

In the Online Help documentation it is said:"In your InstallScript code, support files are uncompressed into a temporary directory and then deleted when the installation is complete."

So from what I understand, these files should not reside on the computer once the installation is completed. But it is not the case.

This following action is the way I validated to see if these files were properly deleted once the installation was completed, I have opened a windows explorer and entered %temp% in the address bar. This action brought up the proper path where the Support files are supposed to be copied during the installation. If first deleted all files and folders, especially the {...} folder, in this temp directory, then ran the installation of my application that contained "Support Files". Then once the installation has been completed I looked at the temp folder to see that the Support Files where still under a {...} folder.

I really don't understand why this support files are not deleted.

If this was the only problem, it wouldn't be so bad. But in the case where I perform a major upgrade, if the support files where first deleted before executing this major upgrade. The files would not be copied back to this temp folder. Which in my case causes a crash of the installation when the major upgrade tries to access a previously copied dll.

Is there something that can be done in order to make these support files deleted and copied back everytime the installation is performed.

I've been working on this issue for a month. I really need support on this issue. Can anyone help me. It should be pretty simple to fix since the documentation seems to say that these support files are deleted by themselves, which probably means that they will be copied back on a major upgrade.

thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Reureu
Level 10

• What sort of project are you working on?

• InstalScript
    • Basic MSI
    • InstallScript MSI

• On which OS are you testing it?
  • If you are working on an MSI project, are you applying any extra transform when testing?
  • Have you tried to do a dummy project with just one support file to see if it works?
0 Kudos