cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Suite install and unsupported reg value type

I'm getting an "Evaluate registry value condition: unsupported reg value type (0)" at the end of my suite installation. The install parcel appears to install correctly with no errors and is fully functional.

However, the above error leads to an IDS_SUITE_INTERRUPTED error and install completion message which doesn't look good.

I know this is a long shot but has anyone seen this before and if so what could cause it. I'm not sure what registry setting is causing this. Install log attached below.

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
mumbles
Level 7

I can't look at your zip at the moment, but are you trying to operate against a string in the registry? I had an issue previously where i was trying to operate against a string the registry and it turns out it was a RegMulti , where it held more than a simple string.

Just a shot in the dark...
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The detect condition for parcel {33EF8B4F-9BCE-450C-915C-592D25DD1D1B} in this suite is running after the parcel is installed to verify that it can be detected (indicating it was installed). This condition contains a RegistryValue condition to evaluate the value of a registry key/value. The key/value that was specified in the condition had a registry data type of REG_NONE (0) returned from Windows. There isn't going to be any data associated with this type of registry value so the suite doesn't know how to compare the value provided in the condition.

Did you intend to just check for the existence of a registry key/value? If so, you may want to use the RegistryExists condition instead. Otherwise, try specifying a key/value that contains more common data types, such as DWORD, strings, or multistrings.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses guys. The detection condition for the product install is to look for a registry key value defined like this:

The key value "Version" that's being looked for is defined as a REG_SZ in the registry converted to ProductVersion. After install this exists and has the expected value "6.3.1". See below:

Not sure why this is being reported as reg value type (0)
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

What version of Windows is this issue occurring on? Also, if this is a 64-bit version of Windows, is this registry data being created in the 32-bit or 64-bit part of the registry?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

OS is Win2008 x64. Keys are being created in 64-bit portion of registry. The installed application is 64-bit and the install detection test is set for 64-bit registry.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This behavior is being caused by an issue with 64-bit key handling in the RegistryValue condition. As a result of this issue, it is not currently possible to perform comparisons on values that are in the 64-bit part of the registry (it is possible to check for their existence with the RegistryExists condition).

We are currently working on a hotfix to resolve this behavior. We hope to have this fix available in the next week or so.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

In a way that's great news - at least I know its not my setup!

Waiting for the hotfix with anticipation:)

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

I have attached a hotfixed version of SetupSuite.exe that should resolve the issue that was seen with attempting to check the data in registry values in the 64-bit part of the registry. To apply the fix:
1. Make a backup copy of C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2012\Language Independent\i386\SetupSuite.exe.
2. Extract SetupSuite.exe from the attached zip file into the folder referenced in step 1.
3. Rebuild any suite projects that need this fix.

Please let us know if you have any issues.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Unfortunately the new version of SetupSuite.exe generated a new run-time "Parcel target exe does not exist" error during the install. I don't get this error if I build the same suite setup with the original (SP1) version of the exe.

I've attached 2 logs (in the attached ZIP file), one containing the original registry error and another showing the target exe does not exist error for comparison.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This error is occurring because this hotfixed exe contains a fix for an issue that was discovered internally during development for the latest AdminStudio release. The issue affects how packages compressed in the suite exe are streamed onto the exe. The fix actually required a build and a runtime change.

I've attached an updated zip that contains both the SetupSuite.exe and ISWiBuild.dll. ISWiBuild.dll should be backed up in C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2012\System and then extract to this location from the zip file. Build and test the project again to see if the issues you are seeing are resolved.

Again, please let us know if there are any issues you find.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Josh

Yes that's done the trick. The post install check on my x64 package has succeeded successfully. I've attached a log of the install if you're interested.

Will this hotfix be wrapped up in an SP at some point?

Many thanks for your effort in fixing this.
0 Kudos