cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiggers
Level 7

Suite - MSI - DIM: Error 1304 installing to GAC

I have components in a DIM project, which is included in a Basic MSI, which is included in a Suite. The first component from the DIM throws an Error 1304. 'Error writing to file (sic) xxxxx. Verify that you have access to that directory.' I can't see anything in the DIM project, but the Basic MSI one has Require Administrative Privileges set to Yes.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It's nice to see the whole depth of the architecture being used, but it certainly makes it a bit harder to troubleshoot. Typically the errors from a .msi are not caused by the suite, so chances are we can just examine the .dim and resulting .msi layers of this. You can confirm this by running the .msi outside the suite (say from an elevated command prompt if you want to better mimic how the suite will launch the .msi), to verify the error still occurs.

Assuming it does, we should isolate whether it's a configuration problem, or a .dim consumption problem. If you can isolate this to just the file in question, it should be trivial to test a .msi that installs it to the GAC directly vs. another .msi which consumes a similar .dim (also just the same file). At this point, if they both fail, there's something wrong with the file, with the way it's being authored, or with the target environment. If only one fails, MSI Diff can help isolate differences. Some will be inherent to the involvement of a .dim, but it's possible that there will be an important difference (or a missing difference) somewhere that our .dim consumption code should have smoothed over.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

I had to leave this for a while to do other things, but I now can't reproduce the problem! Seems to have gone away by itself.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That sounds like (qualified) good news; I hope it stays away. 🙂
0 Kudos