cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Suite Difference on Vista

The Suite Install/Uninstall was hanging up near the end only on Vista (Installation Progress screen). Below is a part of the log from 2008 Server R2 (good) and the same section fom Vista. Notice that there are a couple of lines missing from the Vista log... at least when compared to the 2008R2 log. I have tested this on XP, 2003 Server, and Windows 7 and it works on all except Vista. I figured out that I was not allowng enough space for the ISInstallStatus and it was spilling over to the next line with the message 'Click Finish to exit the wizard'. I had the 'Finish' button set for 'No' because it is undesireable to click Finish and have the suite screen disappear in the middle of installation. Setting the 'Finish' button to 'Yes' keeps it from hanging up because you can click Finish. But I would rather not have finish on this screen. All the other OS's go to the Installation Completed screen and that is a better place for the Finish button. What can we do to make the behavior consistent across OS's?

2008R2 - Good
12-15-2011[12:36:11 PM]: Engine: property 'ISParcelStatus' value now ''
12-15-2011[12:36:11 PM]: UI DLL: Get: Property=ISParcelStatus Value= Return Code=0
12-15-2011[12:36:11 PM]: UI DLL: Get: Property=ISInstallStatus Value=IDS_INSTALL_SUCCESS Return Code=0
12-15-2011[12:36:11 PM]: Engine: property 'ISCurrentPage' value now 'InstallationComplete'
12-15-2011[12:36:11 PM]: UI DLL: Blocking Main Thread

Vista - Hangs Up
12-15-2011[11:25:27 AM]: Engine: property 'ISParcelStatus' value now ''
12-15-2011[11:25:27 AM]: UI DLL: Get: Property=ISParcelStatus Value= Return Code=0
12-15-2011[11:25:27 AM]: UI DLL: Blocking Main Thread
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That sounds fairly bad. Do you need any particular changes from a stock new project (plus a package or two) to reproduce this? (I'm unclear whether you disabled a Finish button we have enabled by default.)
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks for the reply Michael. Yes, it does seem fairly bad. To answer your question, this happens on the InstallationProgress screen. By default, Flexera has the Finish button disabled (which I believe to be correct). I only enabled it as a test and a means to get past the hang up. I did make a new stock project with no changes (other than adding a feature and a package). I get the same behavior with that. If you get a Vista machine set up to try this please take a look at my other post where I describe a different look on Vista.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Michael,
This does seem serious. I don't want to enable the 'Finish' button... which Flexera has disabled by default, because that allows the user to end the suite while the package is installing. It is only a problem on Vista.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The engineer I asked to look into this was unable to reproduce it, but saw some odd behavior with UAC prompts. Is is possible that there's a hidden UAC prompt that the suite is waiting for you to accept? It might be worth testing with UAC disabled just in case. Or it might help if you can post a sample project that reproduces this just to make sure we're testing the right thing; he said adding a simple MSI project to a stock suite didn't trigger this.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Michael,
There is no hidden UAC prompt. I discovered that this problem is caused by the 'Aero' Wizard Format. Also see this post for other problems caused by 'Aero'. http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=200056
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Good to hear you've found a fix. We've got some changes planned that should resolve this for either scenario in our next major release. Unfortunately the inner workings of these changes are too complex to risk releasing it without a full QA cycle.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Michael,
Great! Any idea when the next major release will be available?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sorry man, I have to keep ignoring these requests for date information. Even those times when I do know the answer. 🙂
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

I understand... but it doesn't hurt to try 🙂
0 Kudos
looeee
Level 8

I too have Vista suite installs that hang at the end and never finish. The logs look similar too.

Changing the Wizard Format to "Wizard97" or "Wizard Lite" fixed the problem.
0 Kudos
rune_paulsen
Level 5

Same problem here.

But, the installer work correctly when you remote login to the machine.

I have added a splash to the suite
Then i only got a empty window, with the cancel button on, when the Suit installer started.
Cancel button did not work, i had to kill the Suite installer.

When i remove the splash, the Suite installer hangs at the end and never finish.

Changing the Wizard Format to "Wizard97" fixed the problem for me also.
0 Kudos