cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howardphillips
Level 2

String Table Import / Export from command shell

Is there a standalone tool that I can achieve import and/or export of the string table categories in my uip files ?
Required because we build our code in a shell rather than within the IDE and I would like to automate the export/import rather than it being a manual task.

Thanks
Howard
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
sjjs84
Level 5

I don't believe there is an easy way to do what you're asking. When you import a strings table, each of the strings from the strings table gets recorded into the project file instead of the file name that contains the string table. So to do what you want, you'd have to modify the project file to add/remove those strings, which is highly unrecommended.

One option is to create a .properties file with your strings and add it as a resource bundle. The name of that properties file will be recorded in the project file instead of the individual strings contained within it. During build time, as long as that file is in the classpath, its strings can be used. So you can basically modify that .properties file all you want and you won't have to mess around with the project file.
0 Kudos
howardphillips
Level 2

Thanks for the response.
I am happy with having the resources in the uip file rather than external, it's just we want to be able to bulk export the strings for language translation purposes. After translation the multi-language strings will be re-imported into the uip.
I can't believe I am the first person to face this I18N issue 😉
0 Kudos
sjjs84
Level 5

Haha, ya I don't think I've heard of anyone asking for a standalone utility to import/export the string tables. One problem I can see is that if you have a large string table, it would have to make changes to a large chunk of the project file. If anything happens, llike a number being recorded wrong, it would be a huge hassle to debug.
0 Kudos