cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aclayto87
Level 5

Starting Services in Vista

Hello,
I created an MSI that worked great when i ran in on my XP development machine, but when i put it on the Vista machine to run it, it always errors out on the "SetupProgress" dialog screen. I recieve this error message everytime it is trying to start the services - "Error 1920.Service Program.exe failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I am running this setup.exe as an administrator so i dont think it is insufficient privileges. I think it is because of something different on Vista when it comes to starting Services. What has changed? and how can i change it within my MSI to get the services to start on the Vista machine?

thanks for the help!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Vijay__K
Level 7

Hi,
Are you using your own custom action or the msi control service tables?

If you are using your own custom action, if it is immediate then the service may fail to start.

Vijay.
0 Kudos
aclayto87
Level 5

i have the service set up as a service in the advanced settings of a component i created, so therefore it is being controlled through the Direct Editor - ServiceControl table. i have the different options in the table set to: Install Start = yes, all others = no (i have tried different variations of this with no effect) then i have the wait type as "wait for the event to complete" i have also changed that as well with no effect.

No i am not starting it through a custom action

like i said, it worked perfectly when running on XP, why in Vista is it so different? it just crashes when trying to start the services. is there a simple fix for this? some kind of Service Pack that needs to be installed?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "privileges" error seems to be the default for everything. Best way to tell what's going on is to set Windows installers to log. It will show exactly which action it is failing on.

To set up logging go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
and add the key
Reg_SZ: Logging
Value: voicewarmupx

You'll find the logs in your Temp folder.

aclayto87 wrote:
Hello,
I created an MSI that worked great when i ran in on my XP development machine, but when i put it on the Vista machine to run it, it always errors out on the "SetupProgress" dialog screen. I recieve this error message everytime it is trying to start the services - "Error 1920.Service Program.exe failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I am running this setup.exe as an administrator so i dont think it is insufficient privileges. I think it is because of something different on Vista when it comes to starting Services. What has changed? and how can i change it within my MSI to get the services to start on the Vista machine?

thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
aclayto87
Level 5

i was able to generate the log file, though i didnt really see anything that tipped me off to what is going wrong besides seeing the same error in the log file. i may be missing something.

i am still wanting to know why there is such a difference in running the install in XP and Vista.

if they have made such a drastic change when running services there has to be a fix to this somewhere. we have gone from being able to start services in XP with no problem at all, to it being impossible in Vista. has no one else had this problem?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may have to scroll up a bit in the log to see where the error firsrt occurs. I'd suggest a search for "error".

You can also try messing around with the permissions. If you know which service is causing the error, set privileges on that service for Users Full Control and see what happens.
0 Kudos