cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcilis
Level 4

Standalone Build Error (Merge Module NOT Found)

Hello,

I have a problem with the standalone build tool. I am using InstallShield 2008 Premier... There is an integrated standalone build tool installed with this software.

I try to build my Basic MSI project with this tool.

I use the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\IsSABld.exe" -p ".\Project.ism" -y "1.00" -x

However, it returns the following error:

Merging modules...
ISDEV : error -4075: File not found. An error occurred merging Module 'ATL.97F81AF1_0E47_DC99_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E:0' for Feature 'Feature1'.
ISDEV : fatal error -5087: Stop at first error

When I try to build by using the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p ".\Project.ism" -y "1.00" -x

Build successfully ends...

I searched the internet for this problem and I see that the merge modules should be copied to the "Objects" folder of the Standalone Build Tool directory. So I copied the "MDAC27ENU.msm" to the "Objects" folder but nothing changed...

And also I read from the forum that there was a bug in the InstallShield 11.5 version. But it is stated that the bug would be solved in InstallShield version 12...

I appreciate any ideas :confused:

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
Tharkhaad
Level 3

When using the stand-alone build engine, you need to pass extra parameters specifying the merge module path and other settings that the IDE automatically provide. The documentation provided with IS2008 specifies the extra parameters that are needed when using the stand-alone build engine.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific, but I have yet to use the build engine and I do not have IS2008 installed on my machine any more, as I will be getting a new machine at work.
0 Kudos
mcilis
Level 4

Thank you for the reply,

I think you mean the "-o" parameter. But I also tried that one!

The command was like this:

IsSABld.exe -p "Project.ism" -o ".\Objects" -x

But still it returns the same error :mad:

Merging modules...
ISDEV : error -4075: File not found. An error occurred merging Module 'ATL.97F81AF1_0E47_DC99_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E:0' for Feature 'Feature1'.
0 Kudos
BernardC
Level 4

Hi,

May be you should try with a full path for your merge module folder (we were able to build our install like this)

Bernard.
0 Kudos
mcilis
Level 4

Hello,

Did you copy only the msm file from "IS2008>Objects" folder to "IS 2008 StandaloneBuild>Objects" folder?

Or did you copy additional files from the main application folder to the standalone folder?

Thank you,
0 Kudos
BernardC
Level 4

Hello,

We did copy all our merge module stuff (ours and those provided by IS installer and patches) under the same folder (C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 12 StandaloneBuild\Modules\i386 because at this time we were on IS12).

Bernard
0 Kudos
mcilis
Level 4

Hello,

In IS2008, I think the same folder structure as the IS12 is provided.

However, when I checked the IS2008 > Modules > i386 folder contains some irrelevant empty folders (Japanese, German) and a merge module named "InstallShieldTrialware.msm"...

"MDAC27ENU.msm" file is under IS2008 > Objects folder, and I copy this file to the "C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Modules\i386" folder and "C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Objects" folder. Moreover, I tried entering full path for the build command but nothing changed 😞

This is the command:

C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild>IsSABld.exe -p "d:\Project.ism" -o "c:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Objects" -x

This is the returned value:

Merging modules...

Thank you,
0 Kudos
BernardC
Level 4

Hello,

I found this : http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=155107

It is a little bit old but may be this could help.

Bernard.
0 Kudos
mcilis
Level 4

I have read that topic. But can not find a solution. InstallShield developer suggested copying the msm file to the Objects folder. I have already done that but it still gives the same error...

Also it is stated in the topic that the Standalone build bug was not solved in InstallShield version 12!!!

Thank you for your help,
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Merging modules...

If I understand your issue well enough, I think there may be some confusion as to which merge module you should be copying to your StandAlone Build folder. In your post you mention that you copied the MDAC27ENU.msm file over, but the error message indicates that it is looking for the ATL module. This is a Microsoft module that most likely will be found in your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules folder. Try copying that module over into your StandAlone Build search path location and see if the error goes away.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
mcilis
Level 4

Thank you very much.

Your tip solved my problem but I had to copy more files from the Common folder...

The solution:

I copied the following files from the Common Files folder ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules") to the Standalone build Objects folder ("C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Objects"):

Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm
policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm
Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm
policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm
Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86.msm
policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86.msm
OLEAUT32.MSM
COMCAT.MSM
MFC42.MSM
MSVCIRT.MSM
MSVCP60.MSM
MSVCRT.MSM
GDIPlus.msm

I also copied "MDAC27ENU.msm" merge module from "C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\Objects" to the Standalone build Objects folder ("C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Objects")

And then executed the following command:

IsSABld.exe -p "D:\Project.ism" -o ".\Objects" -x

Finally, standalone build is completed without errors... 🙂
0 Kudos