cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donprice
Level 4

Source of Message?

During testing of an MSI project installation for an existing project, the following message appears:

Please insert the disk: 1

This occurs only when I am using the new install to upgrade the currently existing application on an XP system. If I use Add/Remove Programs to remove the current version of the appllication first, the message does not appear.

What causes this message to appear? Is it looking for the disk for the previously installed version? Is it possible to eliminate or bypass this message and have the install simply continue to perform the install?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi Don,

Is the upgrade distributed on a CD? And as well, is the *.msi file located in a different path on the CD compared to the original install you're upgrading?

This is one cause I can recall being problematic. If this is the case, I have a small script (somewhere) I was able to use to get around it.
0 Kudos
donprice
Level 4

Hi Cary,

The latest software is going on a CD (in a compressed format) whereas the previous release went onto a DVD in uncompressed format. I believe that the *.msi path probably has changed.

If I included the previous release's .msi file in the original path as on the DVD, would that solve the problem of looking for the original .msi?

Thanks for the info, Cary.

Cheers,
Don
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

donprice wrote:
Hi Cary,

The latest software is going on a CD (in a compressed format) whereas the previous release went onto a DVD in uncompressed format. I believe that the *.msi path probably has changed.

If I included the previous release's .msi file in the original path as on the DVD, would that solve the problem of looking for the original .msi?

Thanks for the info, Cary.

Cheers,
Don

Hi Don,

In a Minor Upgrade, there's no need for the old MSI package, so this I would think would just give an error of some sort.

Here's the VBscript I used that appends the new folder path to the source list, and helps get around this issue, you'll have to substitute a few things, like the folder name and product code:

Set objInstaller = CreateObject("WindowsInstaller.Installer").Product("{44F1EE72-5A62-475B-8A56-E1094A8EACB4}","",4)

objInstaller.SourceListInfo("MediaPackagePath") = "\SomeFolder\"
Set objInstaller = nothing
0 Kudos