cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christoph
Level 8

Source needed after upgrade.

I don't know if this is also a problem in Installshield 2008. I've this problem with InstallShield 11 projects... didn't tried it yet with InstallShield 2008 projects.

I've installed version 1 of my product. This creates a shortcut on the desktop.
After that, I upgrade my version 1 to version 2 of the product(MAJOR Upgrade).

After the upgrade, I remove or rename the folder from where I ran the upgrade(version 2).

Afterwards, when I click on the shortcut to start the application, the installer seems to start and couple of seconds afterwards, a dialog is shown telling that it cannot find the source. This dialog gives you the ability to browse to the source.

When I don't remove or rename the folder from where I ran the upgrade, the installer seems to start and configures a couple of things... This happens only when you start the application via the shortcut the first time after the upgrade. :confused:

Also, after a clean install, all this doesn't happen... So it seems to be upgrade related.

Can someone explain my what triggers this behaviour?

I've never seen this behaviour before after starting the application after an upgrade. Maybe a certain change invokes this problem but I don't know where to search.

Any help is appreciated... 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Bruce_Wielinga
Level 3

Christoph wrote:
I don't know if this is also a problem in Installshield 2008. I've this problem with InstallShield 11 projects... didn't tried it yet with InstallShield 2008 projects.

Yes, it does seem to be so. I am currently stuck by what seems to be the same issue in Installshield 2008, although only on a minor upgrade, but from a Installsheild 11 project.
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

Hi,

just wanted to tell you that I found the problem.
I had a lot of components into my project who contains dll's.

When originally creating this project, I setted the properties of these components to 'always replace'.

After a while, new dll's where added and I forgot the set this always replace property. No problem if the versionnumber of the dll's was fine but they delivered my sources with wrong versionnumbers, resulting in the fact that during a major upgrade not all dll's needed for the application where copied.

When starting the application, the repair mode was triggered to retrieve the missing files from the installation package.
0 Kudos