cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sometimes one file missing after install on some machines

I'm having a problem with one of our files not being installed when some users run our install. I have tried to reproduce this problem on 8 different machines that I have access to but in all cases the file causing the problem is correctly installed during my testing.

The file in question is a plain text ini file, and there is code in the install script to modify some of the settings in this ini file after the copy phase is completed to reflect the correct settings based on user input and the chosen installation folder. No errors are reported during the installation process, and on completion everything else is in place but the application fails to start correctly due to the missing ini file. Manually copying in the missing file corrects the problem, confirming that it is only this ini file that is not correctly installed.

Has anyone come across a similar problem previously or does anyone have any suggestions for things to check?

The installer is being built with InstallShield 2009 Professional and is an InstallScript Project.

Thanks in advance for your time and any suggestions.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
anilkumar_mca
Level 8

Hi,
I too faced a problem like this, but in my case it is folder, and it is avilable in some other drive and also this issues is in some machines only(mostly VMs)....

I dont know whether my approach is useful to u or not:

+ Take a verbose(log) file
+ check the value of TARGETDIR & ROOTDRIVE
+ if the above value are different then u have to set those values
+ also check your .ini file entry in the log file
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem is that on the machines where it fails it doesn't fail every time. Hopefully I can find a user who's willing to help me out and get them to try several times for me until I can get a verbose log from a failed install.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Unfortunately it looks like the verbose logging option is only applicable to MSI InstallScript installs. Mine is a vanilla InstallScript install.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
0 Kudos