cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcboggs
Level 2

Some text fields pre-populated on upgrade

InstallShield 2018 R2

In some text fields of the dialogs, some values are pre-populated with values used by the previous install.  

Example: I have a textbox where the user entered a database name.  The next time the user runs the installer, the value that was entered is there.  Some other text fields are not populated with previously entered values.

Is there a setting to make sure that the previously entered values are pre-populated?  I cannot find anything.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @marcboggs ,

Can you give us more details about the issue you are facing?

• Which type of project you are using?
  • What type of upgrade it is?

Unless until it is been saved under database/CutomAction or via InstallScript code,textbox value can't be remembered.Can you search for the value you could see been remembered in Direct-Editor view's Find(Ctrl+F).

InstallShield won't save those values by default.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

The project is a Basic MSI and the upgrade is Minor. When I look at direct edit, I see the default values for some of the text boxes.
0 Kudos

Hi @marcboggs ,

Thanks for the info.That means those specific values are getting saved and retrieved associated with controls.You can try finding the values belong to which table.My guess is,those would belong to Property table.

You can do the same for values you want to save as specific requirement through setting property variable to Control's property.

Property

Basic MSI, Merge Module

Enter the name of a property that is set when an end user enters text in this control. This property can be unique to this control; it does not need to be present in the Property Manager view.

To set a default value for this control, make sure the property is a public property by giving it a name that contains only uppercase letters, use the Property Manager view to add the public property, and then assign to it the value of the default selection.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos