cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimStVCS
Level 7

Small Icon on Dialogs

Hello, I have searched the forum for a good answer for this, but have not really seen any. I have a Basic MSI project and I would like to change the very small icon in the upper-left corner of the dialog boxes. To be specific, if you open a Basic MSI project and edit the layout of the InstallWelcome dialog box, you will see what I am talking about. It is the icon to the left of the [ProductName].

If anyone has any information on how I can change this icon, I would be very appreciative!

Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For Basic MSI, I believe that icon---the "system icon"---is provided by the Windows Installer engine (which processes .msi files) and can't be changed. It's similar to how you can't change the system icon in Notepad for a particular .txt file...
0 Kudos
cbragg
Level 7

A lot of people have the misconception that an MSI is an executable in its own right. However it isn't it's a database that is opened by the Windows Installer service. Just like in Robert's example a txt file is associated with notepad so it shows the associated file type icon for notepad, you can't set a different icon for each document. An msi is just associated with Windows Installer so it gives the windows installer package icon, the icon isn't contained within each package it's within Windows.
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Thank you both for your reply - this makes perfect sense!

Tim
0 Kudos
Alex_W
Level 6

If your building an InstallScript project, not an Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project, then under Media | Releases | and on the Setup.exe tab there is an option to set the exe icon. This option doesn't seem available for MSI projects, but I think is should be.
0 Kudos