cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimStVCS
Level 7

Skin Customization Kit

Hello, I have some confusion regarding this tool. If you take a look at the first page of instructions it says that "This kit is available for Windows-based projects only" under the Overview heading. Clearly, skins are only applicable to InstallScript projects and not Basic MSI projects. Also, if you go to the Dialogs tab and then click on Themes in a Basic MSI project there is text at the bottom of the window stating "InstallShield does not currently let you create your own dialog themes."

Am I misunderstanding this, or is the documentation for this kit incorrect as I suspect? Also, if anyone from Acresso looks at this I have one question and one complaint. Suggestion - that a tool similar to the Skin Customization Kit be made available to customize themes. Complaint - there does not appear to be any mechanism for existing customers to submit enhancement requests like this. Or, if there is, I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks!

Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I believe that wording is a holdover from when InstallShield Windows and Universal were sold as a single package; the skin customization kit would not apply to the Java-based installers. It's not quite the same wording as you'll tend to see for MSI-based, which something like "Windows Installer-based projects"; it's not quite wrong, but I see how it's confusing.

As for themes, we don't have any such tool, but if you have the premier edition, you can just add .theme files to the existing Support\Themes folder. The simple XML file is not documented, and not as fully capable as you might like, but is certainly easy to update to use other imagery.
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Thanks for the reply Michael, I appreciate the information. I logged a support request for this and believe that it was agreed it was an error in the documentation. Anyway, if we can at least get the documentation corrected, we will be moving in the right direction. I wished there was a full blown tool to accomplish what I want though!

Thanks again!

Tim
0 Kudos
BSchmidtSage
Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
I believe that wording is a holdover from when InstallShield Windows and Universal were sold as a single package; the skin customization kit would not apply to the Java-based installers. It's not quite the same wording as you'll tend to see for MSI-based, which something like "Windows Installer-based projects"; it's not quite wrong, but I see how it's confusing.

As for themes, we don't have any such tool, but if you have the premier edition, you can just add .theme files to the existing Support\Themes folder. The simple XML file is not documented, and not as fully capable as you might like, but is certainly easy to update to use other imagery.

Michael,

How exactly does modifying the xml file work? I'm trying to replace the ibd file with a bitmap of my own but it doesn't seem to replace the images already on those dialogs when I run the setup.

0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The changes represented by the XML are only applied at design time when changing a theme (or adding a new dialog, etc.) It sounds like perhaps you only edited the contents of a theme file that had already been applied.
0 Kudos
BSchmidtSage
Level 3

Thanks Michael. That worked like a charm.
0 Kudos