cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Azmaeus
Level 6

Silent install with custom dialog

Jump to solution

I created an installer which utilizes a custom dialog to gather connection info that will be passed as parameters to a custom action that launches a proprietary executable that establishes the connection. I'm now trying to create an iss file so the software can be installed silently including either filling-out the custom form, or not depending on the options selected. I haven't found anything official regarding custom dialogs and ISS files, but one forum I ran across (I can't find it right now) that indicated that it's not possible to do this with any custom dialogs in my installer. I did some more looking, and found official documentation stating I can't create an ISS file with a Basic MSI installer.

What are my options? I'll be very surprised if there's no way to have a silent install with an answer file if any custom dialogs are included. Is there a way to convert to another type that will retain all my hard work but allow the use of the /r switch? Or is there another way to create an answer file?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
rguggisberg
Level 13

Open a CMD prompt and type MSIEXEC /? to get help.

You can use something like:

msiexec /qb /i <PathToYourMSIFile> AgreeToLicense=YES RebootYesNo=NO  INSTALLDIR="%InstallDir%\" ... etc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
ch_eng2
Level 6

I don't have any experience with Basic MSI, but I can say that this is definitely possible with  InstallScript Only.  As for the project conversion, I don't have any experience with that either.

HTH

0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback, @ch_eng2 . I did find out InstallShield has a built-in utility that converts Basic MSI projects to InstallScript MSI projects. I'm not quite ready to embark on that, from what I've read at the very least the conversion will require I recreate any custom dialogs I've made (I've only modified one and created one, so if I do go down that road it shouldn't be too difficult).

0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Open a CMD prompt and type MSIEXEC /? to get help.

You can use something like:

msiexec /qb /i <PathToYourMSIFile> AgreeToLicense=YES RebootYesNo=NO  INSTALLDIR="%InstallDir%\" ... etc

0 Kudos

Thank you, @rguggisberg . After discussing with the powers-that-be command-line would be preferred over a configuration file anyway. Your tip of using msiexec /? (I used setup.exe -v"\?") was very helpful, I figured out what I was doing wrong - I thought I had read somewhere to separate properties with commas, but they're space-delimited. It's working now. Thanks again!

0 Kudos