cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ggrewe
Level 5

Silent install fails

I am using IS2009 SP1 with an Installscript MSI project. I am trying to run the install in silent mode. The install starts, but quits right about where I would expect the MSI to read the response file. I am creating the response file with the /r switch;

\\path\setup.exe /r

Then I copy the setup.iss file from the Windows folder to the setup path and run the setup on a different machine with the /s switch;

\\path\setup.exe /s

Below is the last few lines of the log file;

InstallShield 13:11:32: Setting external UI handler...
InstallShield 13:11:32: Ready to launch program block.
InstallShield 13:11:32: Installation aborts, ready to shut down.
InstallShield 13:11:32: Invoking __ResetMsiObject...
MSI (c) (9C:94) [13:11:32:897]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (c) (9C:48) [13:11:32:897]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
=== Verbose logging stopped: 1/8/2009 13:11:32 ===

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the setup would just quit at this point? The setup has two prequitsite's (.NET 3.5 SP1 and SQL Server 2005 Express), which are both already installed before trying to run the setup silently.

I have created other packages and they are able to be run silently. I cannot seem to find a resolution to this one.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
ggrewe
Level 5

Does anyone have any suggestions for this one? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Johannes_John
Level 7

Hello ggrewe,

as I know, on Vista msiexec runs with /qn aren't executed.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

I'm not sure how to resolve your issue, but I believe the problem must lie in your script, since it's the InstallShield engine that reads the response file, not the MSI. Have you tried running the setup.exe with the /d option to debug the script?
0 Kudos
ggrewe
Level 5

Thanks Kathy, I have not tried the /d option as yet, but I will shortly. I am not sure it is truly that problem, as today I tried to run just the MSI and received a failure with the warning pictured below. I have also attached the log file from running just the MSI. From reading that log file, I was thinking that none of the Installscript code was running, so I manually copied the ISSetup.dll to the computer and registered it, but to no avail.
0 Kudos