cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisfox2385
Level 3

SigningHelper: error 0x80070056 while attempting to sign file

Hello,

Received an updated .pfx before it expired.  The new file was dropped and replaced the existing .pfx file.  No settings in the .ism file were changed.

The project failed to build giving the following:

ISDEV : error -1027: Failed signing E51.tmp

Was wondering if anyone had or where I could find more information about what: SigningHelper: error 0x80070056 means? 

Some information:
Using InstallShield 2020 R1
version 26
Signature Digest is set to: 'Based on certificate hash'

Thanks,
Chris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your post.

Does this issue occur on more than one build machine? Or so far, only this single build machine?

Does this issue occur every time? Sometimes? Or only this one time?

Does this issue occur with all projects? Some projects? Or only this one project? Even a new test project?

I didn't quite follow: Did you already renew your digital certificate? On which date does your current digital certificate expire?

To confirm, have you tried all the previous suggestions on this thread (https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Forum/SigningHelper-error-0x80072efe-while-attempting-to-sign-file/m-p/191289/highlight/false#M70033)? The troubleshooting may be similar.

Could you please provide a verbose build log that captures the issue?

Here is a link to documentation about how to generate a verbose build log:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Verbosely-Log-a-Command-Line-Build/ta-p/4625

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

You probably need to replace the password on the Signing tab of the releases view for the new certificate.

0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

I have exactly the same problem.

The problem occurs on 1 specific build system (with StandAlone Builder 2015 installed) and it came up after we updated our certificate file (pfx file used within the signing tab of the release view).

Our previous certificate file (Godday) expired and we replaced it with a certificate file from GlobalSign. As I gave the pfx file the same name as before, I only updated the certificate password in all our installer projects.

Building our installer projects manually via Installshield (2015) on my development sytem or automatically on our build systems via Standalone Builder (2015) goes fine for all our projects except on 1 build system. On that system we get signing errors for ALL our installer projects.

Below a snipped from a verbose build log file from one of our projects:

============================================================================

Deleting file "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FBC.tmp"
Creating path "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FBC.tmp"
Copying from "d:\dev\apogee2\installers\sum\dev\tmp_Prepress_x64\resources\files\sum_sources\x64\AgfaLib140\CommonInstaller_dl.dll" to "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FBC.tmp\CommonInstaller_dl.dll"
Removing read-only attribute for file "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FBC.tmp\CommonInstaller_dl.dll"
Started signing CommonInstaller_dl.dll ...
ISDEV : error -1027: Failed signing CommonInstaller_dl.dll
Deleting file "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FDD.tmp"
Creating path "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FDD.tmp"
Copying from "d:\dev\apogee2\installers\sum\dev\tmp_Prepress_x64\resources\files\sum_sources\x64\Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll" to "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FDD.tmp\Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll"
Removing read-only attribute for file "C:\Users\amdzm\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ISC4FDD.tmp\Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll"
Started signing Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll ...
ISDEV : error -1027: Failed signing Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll

============================================================================

Any hints, tips... about what the problem can be?

I don't understand it as it only happens on one specific build system and before the certificate update, it worked fine!

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi Christoph,

As per error look up the error code 0x80070056 translates to "The specified network password is not correct. "

If you are sure the password is correct, create a new test project and add your signing pfx file and password and build the project and verify it works or not.

You can also try to import the certificate to trusted root location in that machine and then use to sign the test sample project and check it signs successfully or  not.

You can refer below Kb link on how to import certificate to strore:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/How-to-add-certificates-to-the-Trusted-Root-Certification/ta-p/4118

0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.

I'm 100% sure the password is correct because all projects build on other systems with the same build commando.

It's only 1 system that gives the signing problem.. and it worked with the previous certificate.

Will investigate the option to import the certificate but this has not really my preference.

Thank you

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Christoph 

As per windows error look up the error says the password is incorrect, since you are sure its correct password , try to sign your setup.exe using signtool and verify it signs successfully outside of installshield.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/signtool-exe

Are you facing the issue with only 2 dll's (Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll, CommonInstaller_dl.dll", ),if yes, then remove this dll's and then try signing and check signing works or If you selected sign files in packages option YES under signing tab, remove that option(meaning set it to NO) and verifying it sign the setup.exe

Also try a sample project with your certificate and verify it works or not. and try to add this dll (Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll, CommonInstaller_dl.dll) in your sample and again try to build and verify it works or not, 

You can also create a new support with active maintenance,  So Could you please navigate to Get Support > Open New Case in the top menu and open a new case to track this issue if you would like to proceed with having this issue addressed? That will allow us to best track this issue in order to best assist you. 

0 Kudos