cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alancc
Level 6

Several Questions regarding InstallShield Express?

Hi,

I check the difference in editions at https://www.flexerasoftware.com/media/datasheets/datasheet-is-compare-editions.pdf

I also install the evaluation version of InstallShield.

Now I have the following questions regarding the Express edition:

1. Can Express edition create .exe installer? In the document, it said "Create Windows® Installer (MSI) Installations", which imply that it can only create .msi installer. But with the evaluation version, I can create an .exe installer.

2. Can Express edition be installed and used on Windows XP?

3. If I purchase a license, then need my computer has an Internet connection to activate the license? Or it allow offline activation as well?

4. With the evaluation, when I try to add a new file, it will ask me to create a new feature for it. For my case, my installer just need to install all files to the destination computer and there are no optional componenets. In such a case, is it possible not to create a new feature, but to pack all required files into the installer, and simply the installer so that it will not to ask the user whether he want to perform "Full Installation" or "Customized Installation"(since they are the same)

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @alancc

Pls find the answer for your queries:

1. Can Express edition create .exe installer? In the document, it said "Create Windows® Installer (MSI) Installations", which imply that it can only create .msi installer. But with the evaluation version, I can create an .exe installer.

[Express edition can create msi installer as well as exe installer, or both at a time based on the configuration. But in evaluation version, Express edition only creates EXE]

2. Can Express edition be installed and used on Windows XP?

[ Windows XP is already end of life/end of support by Microsoft long back, so it is not officially guaranteed and the latest releases are not tested against Windows XP. It can install and may work, but better to check with Flexera Support for more details.]  

3. If I purchase a license, then need my computer has an Internet connection to activate the license? Or it allow offline activation as well?

[ Internet is not required. Instalshield has multiple licensing model which supports offline activaction]

4. With the evaluation, when I try to add a new file, it will ask me to create a new feature for it. For my case, my installer just need to install all files to the destination computer and there are no optional componenets. In such a case, is it possible not to create a new feature, but to pack all required files into the installer, and simply the installer so that it will not to ask the user whether he want to perform "Full Installation" or "Customized Installation"(since they are the same)

[ As per the Microsoft Windows® Installer (MSI), it requires minimum one feature to configure the installer files.  Microsoft Windows® Installer (MSI) stores the files in hierarchical manner, such as Feature->Component->Files. So it is required minimum one feature, can configured as the default feature. If you dont want to display  "Full Installation" or "Customized Installation", you can disable the dialog and always perform full installation.]

0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

I have some more questions:

1. After downloading the trial version, I do not get another email so it seems the only way to get support is to post question in the community?

2. Can InstallShield Express be invoked from commandline so that I can make a batch file to auto-generate the installer?

3. Originall I download the trial version of InstallShield Premier by mistake. When using Premier to create a setup.exe file, the Kaspersky will report the file containing a virus called "UDS:Trojan.Win32.Inject". I think it is a false positive. However, if I deliver the setup.exe to my clients and they see such a report, they may not think so. Has anyone else encountered such a problem?

4. After purchasing a license of InstallShield Express, is there a money back guarantee? And how long can I get the upgrades for free?

0 Kudos

Hi @alancc ,

Pls find the answers for your queries:

1. After downloading the trial version, I do not get another email so it seems the only way to get support is to post question in the community?

Flexera support Contact details can be found at the below link:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/Support-Information/Support-Contacts/ta-p/94720

2. Can InstallShield Express be invoked from commandline so that I can make a batch file to auto-generate the installer?

Yes, you can trigger the Installshield command line build to do that. 

3. Originall I download the trial version of InstallShield Premier by mistake. When using Premier to create a setup.exe file, the Kaspersky will report the file containing a virus called "UDS:Trojan.Win32.Inject". I think it is a false positive. However, if I deliver the setup.exe to my clients and they see such a report, they may not think so. Has anyone else encountered such a problem?

Yes, its a false positive. It wont come for the digitally signed installer setups. However, this has been fixed in the up coming release.

4. After purchasing a license of InstallShield Express, is there a money back guarantee? And how long can I get the upgrades for free?

Pls contact Flexera Support for more detailed information on this.

0 Kudos

Yes, its a false positive. It wont come for the digitally signed installer setups. However, this has been fixed in the up coming release.

Are you sure it is fixed? I am using the latest version of InstallShield(I download it yesterday).

0 Kudos

Hi @alancc,

Yes, this has been fixed in the up coming release by this month end or early next month.

0 Kudos