cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the_boz
Level 4

Setup.ini in compressed MSI release

Hi,

a similar question was already posted in the IS 2009 forum, but unfortunately there were no responses.

Some of our customers want to modify the setup.ini file of our installation package (compressed Basic MSI setup created with IS2010/SP1) so that they can use a CmdLine that is adapted to their needs.

KB article Q107253 provides a tool called internal_SetupIni.exe that can be used to modify the setup.ini packaged into the setup.exe file. I tried to modify the CmdLine value by calling
d:\internal_SetupIni.exe d:\Setup.exe StartUp CmdLine -v"ADDLOCAL=MyFeature"
Unfortunately this corrupts the setup.exe so that I get an "Error reading initialization file"

Is there a way to modify the setup.ini in an IS2010 setup.exe? If this can be done by a tool, can we distribute the tool to some of our customers?

An even better way would be to provide an external modified setup.ini file as this would not corrupt the digital signature of our setup.exe. I tried to provide a setup.ini file in the folder containing the setup.exe, but the external setup.ini seems to be ignored. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Our package consists of a setup.exe, the MSI database, a .cab file containing the installed files and some .mst files (multi-language installation package). Creating an uncompressed package is not an option.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jaysullivan
Level 3

Hi,

Did you ever figure out how to use an external Setup.INI with your install? I'm interested in doing the same thing.

Thanks,
Jay
0 Kudos
the_boz
Level 4

Unfortunately not. Modifying the Setup.ini file seems to work only for uncompressed packages.
0 Kudos
wsteinford
Level 2

Of course this is an old thread... but for the benefit of anyone who gets here on a search:

You can adjust the SETUP.INI file "stub" that exists at a location like:
"c:\Program Files\InstallShield\Express\Support\Setup.ini"

... from then on, your InstallShield builds should use the modified Setup.ini file.
(You can tell from the path that I'm using InstallShield Express, and it is feasible that InstallShield 2010 made this workaround not work, but I don't have IS 2010 to test with.)

*Edited: In re-reading the original posting, I see that this solution doesn't help, since it is the customer that wants to adjust the setup.ini inside an already-build setup.exe file. However, I'm leaving this posting here in case it helps someone looking to adjust the SETUP.INI before building the .exe
0 Kudos
the_boz
Level 4

You almost hit the anniversary of this thread 😉

I'd like to add that if you want to to modify the setup.ini at build time there are also some settings you can adjust in the Releases view. Of course, as you already stated this does not help for the original problem.

Nevertheless, thank you for your contribution
0 Kudos