cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChopperCharles
Level 3

Setup.exe's embedded msi being called with /i option, not /a

I've got an installer that I'm trying to get to work on a locked down Server Core machine. The MSI works fine, but the setup.exe is failing. I've traced it down to the way msiexec calls the msi inside the setup.exe wrapper. It uses the /i option, even though I have the Required Execution Level set to Administrator under the "Releases" tab in Visual Studio.  How can I change this?

Product is InstallShield 2018. 

Thanks.

Charles.

0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

I guess you misunderstand the meaning of /a

While /i (for install) actually installs a package, /a (for "administrative install") only unpacks the content of the package so an andministrator can put it on a network share. It would then be installed with /i from this share on the end user machines in the network.

So this is not releated to installing with administrative (or elevated) permissions that is required for the setup to copy files in the ProgramFilesFolder etc.

Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos

Okay, then how does one get past delegation issues when attempting to install on a heavily locked-down ServerCore machine?

Once I receive the permissions error, I can copy the msi out of the temp directory as it pauses the msi installer when the error dialog is open. I can run that directly and it installs fine. But when the exe attempts to run the MSI installer, I am blocked by the system.

Charles.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
0 Kudos

I'm not sure and it probably depends on the details of your lock down. But what does the error message say exactly?

Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos