cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IlkkaV
Level 7

Setup.exe location not found for feature prerequisites

I have a package with feature prerequisites for two additional features not included in the typical installation (that's the reason for them being feature prerequisites instead of setup prerequisites). However, when testing the package I always get requested to browse the original setup.exe, which is located at the C drive root on my virtual XP test machine.

I logged the installation, and the following came up:

InstallShield 16:56:23: Features with associated prerequisites are being installed or advertised. Finding setup.exe...
InstallShield 16:56:23: Looking for setup launcher in 'C:' with name 'Setup.exe'...
InstallShield 16:56:23: Checking SourceDir for setup launcher...
InstallShield 16:56:23: Looking for setup launcher in '\{86E0FB27-6EC1-4141-9E6C-F8621850C8F2}\' with name 'Setup.exe'...
InstallShield 16:56:23: Looking for setup launcher in '\{86E0FB27-6EC1-4141-9E6C-F8621850C8F2}\' with unknown name...
InstallShield 16:56:23: Asking user to provide setup launcher location...
InstallShield 16:56:36: Checking for correct setup launcher 'C:\Setup.exe'...
InstallShield 16:56:36: Checking embedded setup.ini
InstallShield 16:56:36: Found matching product code in 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_is80.ini'.
InstallShield 16:56:36: User selected setup launcher.
MSI (c) (7C!8C) [16:56:36:942]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying SETUPEXEDIR property. Its current value is 'C:'. Its new value: 'C:\'.

So it seems like the custom action cannot find the package at the C root even though it exists there. Based on the "SETUPEXEDIR property. Its current value is 'C:'. Its new value: 'C:\'." part it looks like InstallShield is checking for the presence of C:Setup.exe while it should look for C:\Setup.exe. So is this a bug in InstallShield and are there any workarounds for this? My prerequisite location is set as "Extract from Setup.exe" and the MSI is cached locally to a custom path, although the cache path shouldn't matter as the plain MSI doesn't contain the prerequisites.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is a known issue; a hotfix with resolution can be downloaded from http://community.installshield.com/showpost.php?p=424157&postcount=7 and is described more completely in that thread and in the referenced KB article.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

Thanks MichaelU! After applying the hotfix it works like a charm 🙂
0 Kudos
hgarcia
Level 3

Does this hot fix work for the setup prerequisites? I'm trying to install .net 2.0 sp 1 as a setup prerequisite but it keeps trying to download the redistributable. I've downloaded the redistributable and placed it in my SUPPORTDIR. I've also changed the Prerequisite properties so that the Build Location is set to "Copy From Media Source". Am I missing something else? Do I also need to place the .prq file into the SOURCEDIR?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The hotfix only applies to feature prerequisites, as it fixes a problem in the custom action dll which kicks them off. For your issue, make sure your release setting for the prerequisite build location matches or is set to "follow individual selections."
0 Kudos
hgarcia
Level 3

Thank you Michael U. I'll I needed to was reset my Release settings and the setup prerequisites were working as expected.

thanks again.
0 Kudos