cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pizzamampf
Level 4

Setup disappears after dialogs and runs indefinitely

I got a problem today when testing my installation. For the context: At first, deinstallation didn't work due to a problem with a script I was calling (so the deinstallation rolled back). A try just to do another "repair" install over it failed and rolled back. As a result, I removed everything manually (files, services, registry entries).
Now, whenever I try to run my fixed installation again, it will disappear after the initial dialogs, just when the actual installation should start. In task manager I can still see background processes running indefinitely (my setup.exe and msiexec.exe each twice). The only way to stop it is killing the processes.

MSI logfile (some internal files stripped, username replaced):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11624[/ATTACH]

As you can see, it just stopps after InstallWelcome.

The sequence is just standard (end of UI / start of Execute in the screenshot):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11623[/ATTACH]
I get through all the dialogs including ReadyToInstall before it disappears.

I found a similar problem in a thread for InstallShield 2009: https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?188346-Installer-hangs-dialog-disappears!
Unfortunately there was no solution.

Do you have any ideas what else I could try?

Not sure if it's related, but at least interesting behaviour: If I decide to cancel installation on any of the dialogs through the cancel button, the dialog will freeze ("no response") and I have to kill the process through task manager.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Pizzamampf wrote:
I got a problem today when testing my installation. For the context: At first, deinstallation didn't work due to a problem with a script I was calling (so the deinstallation rolled back). A try just to do another "repair" install over it failed and rolled back. As a result, I removed everything manually (files, services, registry entries).
Now, whenever I try to run my fixed installation again, it will disappear after the initial dialogs, just when the actual installation should start. In task manager I can still see background processes running indefinitely (my setup.exe and msiexec.exe each twice). The only way to stop it is killing the processes.

MSI logfile (some internal files stripped, username replaced):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11624[/ATTACH]

As you can see, it just stopps after InstallWelcome.

The sequence is just standard (end of UI / start of Execute in the screenshot):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11623[/ATTACH]
I get through all the dialogs including ReadyToInstall before it disappears.

I found a similar problem in a thread for InstallShield 2009: https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?188346-Installer-hangs-dialog-disappears!
Unfortunately there was no solution.

Do you have any ideas what else I could try?

Not sure if it's related, but at least interesting behaviour: If I decide to cancel installation on any of the dialogs through the cancel button, the dialog will freeze ("no response") and I have to kill the process through task manager.

Hi,

Which project type it is?Does any of the added dialogs has dependency on files/services/any other resources you removed?

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Pizzamampf
Level 4

Hi Jenifer,

thank you for your response and sorry for the delay.

At first my thread didn't show up here so I thought something went wrong, that's why I also posted two more threads with the same content (I just deleted them).
In the meantime I already contacted Flexera support and was able to sort out the problem.

Just in case someone else would run into the same issue:
Obviously I accidentally removed an entry from the File table which was referenced by two entries in the DuplicateFile table. As a result, those entries in the DuplicateFile table had the "File_" column set to "NoFile". It didn't show up as a problem during build so I wasn't aware of it, but that was the reason for all the trouble.
0 Kudos