cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting INSTALLDIR with Basic MSI

I have a basic MSI Project which delivers dlls to a folder which is based on a value of an existing applications install directory.

The value of this directory is in the Registry. I am able to read the value but I am have problems making this value the INSTALLDIR for the whole of the project.

I have tried

INSTALLDIR = regValue but when testing the INSTALLDIR is blank and regvalue is correct.

Have also tried MsiSetProperty(""), MsiSetTargetPath, Deferred custom action etc....

I really have had no luck.

How can i reset the INSTALLDIR to the registry value so all my components use this as the INSTALLDIR??

Surely this should be a simple thing to achieve???
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Darain
Level 6

I don't use basic MSI project myself but I know MSI use TARGETDIR instead. Maybe you could try that instead of INSTALLDIR before you hear a better answer. No harm.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For one general approach, please see this newsletter tip (PDF warning): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/is_install_dir_from_app_search.pdf.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK fantastic this seems to be what I want.

One question though.....

If i check the search 64 bit registry option.... will that check 32 bit also?

I would need to do this for both
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Offhand I don't know, but if checking the 64-bit portion skips the 32-bit (I believe it searches one or the other and not both), perhaps you could create two searches...
0 Kudos