cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
des_ward
Level 3

Seperate debug and release installers in ISLE

I'm using Installshield limited edition in VS2012. I can change the configuration from debug to release and back with a very simple drop down.
But - both of them build the installer to the same location:
In VS2010 it puts the msi into a debug or release folder. How can I do this in Installshield?
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

If it is feasible, please try creating two setup projects, one for the release and one for debug.

You can change the release location of the debug installer to any other location or dynamically link the location in the Builds view.

Also, some thoughts in the below discussion:-

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?99155-making-debug-and-release-builds/page2

Regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
des_ward
Level 3

Thanks for your time, your answer and the link. But the answer is horrible, it means that any changes that get made to the installer project have to be made twice -it's just asking to get out of step.

I guess from your answer that there are no variables accessible at build time and available inside Installshield which can access the visual studio solution configuration, e.g. which could be appended to or used instead of in the Release Location?

All I want to do is to build the whole thing using either the release configuration or the debug configuration and simply keep a release .msi and a debug .msi in separate places.
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

Sorry about that 😮 ! There is no automatic method available in InstallShield Limited Edition to build separate installers for Release and Debug files.

If it is feasible, you could try changing the Release Location manually in the Build Tab of InstallShield Setup Project, whenever you change the Active Solution Configuration Type to Debug or Release, in Visual Studio's Configuration manager.

You could either specify InstallShield's predefined folder, or click on the ellipsis button and browse to preferred location and build. This will build two separate installers in separate locations.

Please refer to "Building Releases in Microsoft Visual Studio" section in the InstallShield help library.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
des_ward
Level 3

Thanks Swetha.

So the only option is to do it manually, great 😞

I'm guessing that if I bought the full edition I'd be able to create another Release in the Releases window and set up Visual Studio's configuration manager to use one release for debug and another for release.

All done for now, Cheers, Des.
0 Kudos