cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gorthims
Level 2

Separating .msi file from setup.exe in setup package.

I have a serious support issues with clients who occasionally double click on .msi file instead of setup.exe to install the application. this is because both .msi file and setup.exe are in the same folder. This action will lead to miss any prerequisites required for the application and application will not function properly. I have chosen Basic MSI project to compile my installer. Is there any way to specify that .msi file will be created in a sub-folder to setup.exe.

Thanks in advance
Madhu
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Mescalero
Level 7

When the user double-clicks on the msi file, they don't see the message "This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe."? We've distributed a few basic MSI installs like this (using the setup.exe launcher but leaving the files uncompressed), and I haven't encountered this problem--the user sees the aforementioned message and can't proceed if they try to launch the install via the .msi file.
0 Kudos
gorthims
Level 2

Thanks for the reply Mescalero. But I don't see that message when I double click on .msi file. It straight away goes for to install dialog.
Can you tell me what setting did you use to get that message?
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

Hmm, that's interesting. And you have definitely configured the install package to use the setup.exe launcher?

You shouldn't have to apply any setting; it automatically displays that message when you use the setup launcher but leave the files uncompressed. If you search the string table for the message I quoted earlier (or just search for "setup.exe"), you will see where it is stored.

If you have configured the installer to use setup.exe, and can still run the install via the msi, then I am at a loss. Maybe someone else out there has seen this. Could you in that case consider compressing everything into setup.exe?
0 Kudos