cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swilks
Level 5

Self Registration

Hello All,

You will have to forgive me in advance as I am very new to Installshield having used WiseforWindows Installer for the past 10 years. I am converting the installscripts across to InstallShield and have found the self registration process a major hurdle.

Under WFWI files auot-set themselves for registration when they are added to the project. I have gone through preferances and it seems I can only set self registration on one file at a time after they are added. Thats fine if thats the case but if anyone knows a shortcut to auot set self registration that would be handy.

Anyhow onto my issue. I flag the files for self regsitration but no matter what OS I install to at runtime I receive the error 1904 failed to register when the install installs the files.
I have my preferances set to ..
InstallShield self reghistration Table and
COM extraction will occur during the build

But no matter which combination of these options I set the install (.exe) to I receive the errors.

1) Any suggestions on what I have done wrong in the installation to cause the issue
2) Is there I can suppress these errors being reported in the UI at runtime. The previous install reported the errors to the install log but never displayed the errors to the user at runtime.

Many thanks in advance.

regards
Shaun
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
cbragg
Level 7

Self-registrering files can cause all kinds of problems due to the way they are written by the developers of your application. For this reason alone, I would go as far as saying that self-registration is a bit of a bad practice and I guess Flexera agree for the fact that it defaults to off. Instead, I would add the files to the com tables etc yourself. Now before you panic Installshield can do this for you. Simply turn off the self-registeration, add your file to a component (in a component all by itself is good practice), make it the key file, right click the file and select Extract Com Data for Key file.

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Swilks
Level 5

Thanks I will give that a try.

Any idea on how to suppress the 1904 error dialogs ?
I would have thought this is possible as the previous install just wrote the error to the log file and not to the UI?

Again any thoughts appreciated.
0 Kudos
cbragg
Level 7

Well if you extract com data instead of self registering. It's one or the other, you don't do both. Extracting com data is writing the registration information in yourself. Then you shouldn't get the error dialogs.
0 Kudos