cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

SUITE: force package to uninstall first

I have a SUITE project and I have to add another setup.exe from a third party vendor to my package.

The setup.exe has a service that depends on files from my primary package. The first install scenario and update scenarios work fine. What does not work fine is the uninstall scenario. Is there a way to force the dependent package to uninstall first?

I would have thought that the SUITE package would be doing this automatically for any package that has to be removed, but it does not. The uninstall process should follow the rule of last in first out.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rguggisberg
Level 13

DLee65 wrote:
I would have thought that the SUITE package would be doing this automatically for any package that has to be removed, but it does not. The uninstall process should follow the rule of last in first out.

Thanks.

I agree, and I think I made that suggestion a couple years ago.

You can uninstall your 3rd party app with an Event in OnStaging. You may want to define a property for UninstallProductCode. Of course your uninstall string may vary, but the Action 'File' might look something like one of these:

C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\[UninstallProductCode]\Setup.exe
and the Action 'Arguments' might look like this:
-uninst

Or
[SystemFolder]MsiExec.exe
and the Action 'Arguments' might look like this:
/X[UninstallProductCode]

Of course you can put whatever conditions you need on the action.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Thank you rguggisberg.

In the end the vendor has a problem with their app which prevents their service from stopping. 😛
Also they didn't include a system search for the correct install path. *sigh*

I got permission from the vendor to extract their files and just integrate them as a feature of my main installer.

I suspect we will still have problems stopping the service though because that problem seems to be related to something internal for their site.
0 Kudos