cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bornali
Level 5

SQLLogin dialogue creates new database in the server!

Hello,

I have followed http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=185950
to have many SQLLogin dialogues (for different connections) successfully.
My problems are as follow.

1. When i click on BtnDbBrowse in the SQLLogin dialogue, i get the list of the databases (for the particular server IP i typed in). I select it, it appears in the edit box.
But now if I delete the selection (database name) with 'backspace'/delete button, and then want to select something else, then nothing happens, the SQLBrowse list appears but unable to get my selection into the edit box. On the other hand if I don't delete the selection, instead select something else from the list, it is able to fill the edit box. Is this an installshield bug?

2. This is more critical for me. The user should not be able to type in something into the edit field (where the database name appears). The selection should come only from the list provided in the SQLBrowse list.
I was able to type in something like say MyDatabase, and guess what, this database (with this name) gets created in the actual server, that is , when i login to our SQL server, i am able to see this new database created. Definitely we don't want users of our installer creating unknown number of new databases in our server. Is there any solution to this?

Thank you,

Bornali
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
rasky74
Level 6

1) I had same problem and reported that issue to InstallShield support.
2) Try adding condition to disable EdtCatalog Control.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

1) It is a Windows Installer issue. If you create your own custom dialog that has a similar functionality (setting a value to an edit control from the selection of a list dialog launched by a browse button control), you will see the same behavior. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it.
0 Kudos
bornali
Level 5

thanks.
Disabling EdtCatalog Control, solved the problem.
0 Kudos
sujay09
Level 3

Hi All,

I too facing the same problem.
Here, does edtCatalog means edit box (where we need to display DB server name)?
If no, please let me know what does edtCatalog means. On our SQLLogin dialog we don't have any control named edtCatalog.

Thanks,
Sujay
0 Kudos
bornali
Level 5

Sujay,

yes the edtCatalogue is the edit box that displays DB name. It will be greyed out when you disable it, so user can select only from the list provided. This resolved problem no.2 for me.
No 1 is an Windows Installer bug.
0 Kudos
bornali
Level 5

Hi,

the edtCatalogue is the name of the text box for entering the DB name, at the bottom of the SQLLogin dialog (not the db server name).
0 Kudos