cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amarjeet
Level 7

SQL Server 2014 Express Installation issue

Hi

I am trying to install SQL Server 2014 by using installshield pre requsites.

I am using following switches for SQL server 2014 express setup SP1 downloaded from Microsoft's official download page

/q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,SSMS /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /SQLCOLLATION="SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /SkipInstallerRunCheck /HIDECONSOLE /u /x:"%temp%\sql"

When i run my setup the pre requites is successfully able to unzip files in setup.exe ( size of approx. 1 GB ) into the directory specified by me. But nothing happens afterwards. Setup simply quits. Its not able to invoke setup.exe(extracted from main setup.exe)

If i change switches to below setup is successful. In this case main setup.exe unzips all files in directory where my main setup.exe is located. i don't want setup to unzip all the files where my main setup.exe is located as it can be a DVD and hence read only.

/q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,SSMS /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /SQLCOLLATION="SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /SkipInstallerRunCheck /HIDECONSOLE

Can anybody point me what i am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amarjeet
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

SQL Server setup log files may help you troubleshoot the issue as to why the setup simply quits. Also, if you run the setup from a read only medium such as a DVD-ROM, the SQL Server self-extract executable would extract the setup files to a local drive something like C:\3e0cf4f2988c72a1dd255526b5e40b\. It should work fine.
0 Kudos
PlinyElder
Level 7

Microsoft really messed up the SQL installers for some reason and they dont want to fix them. I had lots of problems with 2014 installer so i went back to SQL 2012, before Microsoft changed the way their install worked. That was my only solution that i found. I think once the application is extracted Installshield loses the MSI handle to the installer
0 Kudos
Amarjeet
Level 7

Hi PlineyElder,

I agree with you. SQL server 2008 R2 was much better than SQL 2014. It really works like charm.

As pointed by you after unzipping all files on local disk the SQL server installation again asks to run setup.exe. In sql 2008 it was not the case. The installation automatically used to invoke setup.exe from the unzipped folder.

They have messed .Net framework 4.5.2 installation as well. If you try to install it as feature prerequisite the installation simply stops saying that another installation is in progress. The only work around is to run the setup as setup prerequisite instead of feature prerequisite ( which I am doing now). When asked to Microsoft they say that it works perfectly fine in their environment. This shows that they don't use install shield for creating setups.

Amarjeet
0 Kudos