cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markclabaugh
Level 3

SQL Server 2005 install silent mode with /qb failed

Hi,
When I install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express SP1 prerequisite in normal mode, I am able to install the the SQL 2005 express.

But the same fails when I pass parameters to run the same silent mode...

Details of the command line parameters are :- /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL SQLAUTOSTART=1 SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1 SECURITYMODE=SQL INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS SAPWD=windows05 ENABLERANU=1 ADDUSERASADMIN=1 SQLACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE"

The error I get is:

---------------------------
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup
An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'.
OK

I searched on the MSDN and found the link which states the same problem http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=919944

The workaround that they have mentioned is
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, reinstall SQL Server 2005 SP1. During the installation of SQL Server 2005 SP1, only choose to install SQL Server Native Client and Setup Support Files in the Feature Selection dialog box.

My requirement is to install the SQL server silently and and install the database in the same go. I can't ask user to reinstall / repair.

Please help me to find the solution for the same.

Regards,
Mark
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
m_rudolph
Level 6

Does this occur on every machine you attempt to install it on?
0 Kudos
markclabaugh
Level 3

I got this error on couple of machines. Testing the same on some more PC's.

I also want to make sure whether the command line parameter I have entered is right?

What I need to do is install the SQL server with local system login and not with the "sa".
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi Mark,

Just a question for to see if you have the same problem than me !

I use installshield 2008 and the setup prerequisite of sql server 2005.

if i install my product on a machine where there is NOT a sql server 2005 who is installed the installation works fine !

Else if there is a sql server 2005 who is always installed my application doesn't installed my sql server with my instance !!!

have you the same problem !?

Have a nice day
Christophe
0 Kudos
markclabaugh
Level 3

Hi Christophe,

Yes, I want to achieve the same that you have talked about. I found the problem comes when you have SQL express or SQL client connectivity tools installed on the target PC.
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi Mark form the sunshine 🙂 !

ok but if there is a way to install setup prerequisite sql server 2005 express if on the target machine there is yet a sql server 2005 or an express !

or how i can install my instance for sql server 2005 !?

if you have some idea there are welcome 🙂 !

Thanks for all
Christophe
0 Kudos
markclabaugh
Level 3

I have to install a saperate instance SQL express instance on the target in silent mode. Working on the same, but without any progress.

Started thinking is that really possible with IS 2008...
0 Kudos
SteveP55419
Level 2

markclabaugh wrote:
I have to install a saperate instance SQL express instance on the target in silent mode. Working on the same, but without any progress.

Started thinking is that really possible with IS 2008...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Gang,

I was struggling with this and I found a way to install an SQL Server Express named instance whether or not there is an existing instance on the computer.
I just removed the 'conditions' xml node from the prerequisite file. Testing this out, I installed the named instance on a clean machine. Then I ran setup again to see what would happen. Setup started the SQL Server install dialog but when it checked for a matching named instance, it dropped out and went on the to program setup. Then I changed the name of the instance and ran setup again and it installed the new instance. Removing the 'conditions' node is sort of sloppy I guess but it seems to work.

If anyone knows of a cleaner way of doing this, I would appreciate finding out.

Steve
0 Kudos
Soerenpp
Level 2

Where xxxxxxxx is your instance name.

Basically, It will check if this exists, and if not ask you to install sql server express 2005 before continuing.

Think this is a lot cleaner than letting the sql installer launch and then stop.

For the silent install I use

Again xxxxxxxx is instance name and yyyyyyyyyy the sa password.

Let me know how this works out for you..

Regards,
Soeren
0 Kudos
Colbey
Level 4

I have this working in serveral installs, so it is possible....

This sounds like a known issue with SQL Express. Did the machines that it failed on already have the SQL Server Native Client installed? If they did remove that and the problem goes away. The Native Client often gets left behind after an uninstall or by a failed install attempt.

EDIT: This assumes you are using appropriate conditions and checking for the existence of the instance you wish to install prior to running the SQL Express install.
0 Kudos
pinky08
Level 2

I'm having trouble installing Silently SQL Server Express 2008.

Could you please let me know exactly where do you declare this command prompt?

I've tried to put under database.rul, but did not get any success.

Could you please send me the exact code or function?

Thanks.
0 Kudos