cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iLostMyTaco
Level 3

Running repack.exe from a VM

I just upgraded to Windows 7 for my host PC and I'm having trouble getting the repackager running from a XP SP3 VM on Workstation 6.5.3. The host PC is pretty beefy, running a quad core with 8 GB of RAM.

This is how it used to work. VMWare tools is on the latest version, I shared the repackager and common folder to the host via Shared Folders and I added the common folder to the environmental path. Then I click on repack.exe and it worked fine for a couple of years.

Now that I upgraded with the same configuration, nothing happens. It won't show up in the task list and when I tried doing a procmon, no errors. Repack.exe would just quit. Even tried bypassing the VM Shares using a UNC path and that shows that repack is running, but at 0% CPU utilization. Thought I would wait it out and 30 minutes later nothing.

Also tried adding the VM to our domain, opened up file sharing in the host, then I even tried opening everything up on the AdminStudio folder for Everyone and I get nothing.

I am hoping somebody else has this problem and found a solution. I am out of ideas here 😮
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jaybee96
Level 8

hmm.. are you running the repack.exe on a 64bit machine?
0 Kudos
iLostMyTaco
Level 3

No, I'm trying to run it off a 32-bit XP SP3 image on a VM.
0 Kudos
iLostMyTaco
Level 3

Figured it out. You need to have the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package installed on the host. Geez, what a headache...thx Jaybee for the reply.
0 Kudos