cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Run Suite installer in Silent mode

Hi ,

We created a suite installer which is having 20 Installscript MSI projects exes as packages, we need to install/upgrade this suite installer in silent mode.
We are running the suite installer through command prompt using MySuite.exe /silent command, but we can see the UI related to those packages, though Suite installer related dialogs are not shown.
Can anybody suggest how to run(fresh installation/upgrade) the Suite installer in Silent mode?

Thank in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
Not applicable

sureshkottakki wrote:
Hi ,

We created a suite installer which is having 20 Installscript MSI projects exes as packages, we need to install/upgrade this suite installer in silent mode.
We are running the suite installer through command prompt using MySuite.exe /silent command, but we can see the UI related to those packages, though Suite installer related dialogs are not shown.
Can anybody suggest how to run(fresh installation/upgrade) the Suite installer in Silent mode?

Thank in advance

Sounds like you need to propagate the silent switch setting through to the InstallScript MSI projects via the package MSI EXE command line. You can use a suite property to do that and set it appropriately.

The suite property "ISSilentInstall" should help you set the command line value correctly. Actually not sure if this is available in IS 2014 - I use 2015.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Hi Hysteresis,

We have converted our projects to IS 2015 now, can you please brief us what needs to be done? What is the property value(for ISSilentInstall) we need to set and pass it in exe command line?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Hi,
Any update on this please???
0 Kudos
PlinyElder
Level 7

You can add the parameters to each packages EXE Silent Command line, in the packages Install section.
Its under the packages Operation>Install>EXE Silent Command Line section
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Hi,

Last week I tried to pass /v"ISSilentInstall=true" from Suite installer to each packages in EXE Silent Command line , but not able to run in silent
0 Kudos
PlinyElder
Level 7

I think you want to run it with the Silent command switch. "/s"

The documentation states to use "/s" for Installscript MSI projects but you must FIRST create the response file.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Hi,

I have created the .iss file and added that file in support directory and passing /s /f1"[SETUPSUPPORTDIR]\Setup.iss" in EXE Silent Command Line setting .

But the .iss file created while fresh installation does not work while upgrade and .iss file created while upgrade does not work for fresh installation , so this is not working for us, we don't want to change .iss file everytime because we are not sure whether it is the fresh installation or its an upgrade in production.
0 Kudos
PlinyElder
Level 7

The .iss files where a major headache for me as well so i moved all my projects to Basic MSI projects and that solves ALL the problems with silent installs. Might be the only option you have.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

We can't move our projects to Basic MSI projects , we have lot of installscript code involved, we need to use Installscript MSI projects only
0 Kudos
PlinyElder
Level 7

If your needing to detect upgrade scenarios you can detect the "IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE" property and then use the appropriate .iss file at that point.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Hi,

Through Suite installer we are passing this /s /f1"[SETUPSUPPORTDIR]\Setup.iss" in EXE Silent Command Line setting , it is not possible to change the iss file according to Upgrade or fresh installation at run time
0 Kudos
PlinyElder
Level 7

What if you create a small piece of installscript code to set the fresh install or upgrade .iss path into a PROPERTY and then on suite initialization you call that installscript code to set the PROPERTY based on if an upgrade is detected or a fresh install is detected? That would probably work.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Can you suggest how to check whether the package is running in fresh installation or upgrade?
0 Kudos