cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krishnaKumar
Level 5

Retaining the value in registry during upgrades

Hi All,

I have a setup build in IS 2008. It is a basic MSI project. I store the product key in the registry. We keep releasing newer versions once in a month or so, which contains either fixed bugs or few enhancements.

How do i retain the value written in the registry because on the Installation of the newer version results overwrites the registry value. The registry value is now empty. How do i check this.

Also, is there any specific thing that should be considered while developing the setup so that it acts as both an upgrade version, if an older version exist or as a Installer if no version exists.

Sometimes I face a peculiar error "MSI File not found" when trying to run the installer in the machine already having an older version. The Installation goes fine but when i try to execute the application, i get this error.

I know i have asked too many questions but these are the problems that i face now and need a solution very badly. Also i am just a beginner when considering the experience i have using IS.

Thanks in advance

krishna
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

Did you ever find an answer to the registry key issue? I've encountered the same problem.
0 Kudos
krishnaKumar
Level 5

Hi Mark,

No, I havent found a solution for it. I have posted it in many forums but I am yet to get a reply in any of the forums. When i tried contact the Support team, they say that a Support plan must be taken for them to help us and it comes with a cost. Cant afford to ask the management or client to pay for the plan. Still scratching my head on this issue.

Regards

krishna
0 Kudos
HennoKeers
Level 7

Why don't you make patches (.MSP) for it?
You only update the files and registry entries that need changing, and once a year you make a new major version that includes all the patches.

reg, Henno.
0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

I also submitted my question in a new topic :

http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=186778

I haven't tested it yet but I suspect this approach will work for me.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

That link doesn't exist.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please try [thread=186778]this link[/thread].
0 Kudos