cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acampeau
Level 2

Restart Manager lists services to be stopped via ServiceControl table

Under Windows Server 2008, when I uninstall my product I see my service listed in the processes that need to be stopped. However, this service is controlled by ServiceInstall and ServiceControl table entries which succesfully stops and deletes it on uninstall.

I was under the impression that this dialog wouldn't pop up and list my own service in this case which I confirmed with the following excerpt from the Windows Installer Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2006/12/11/windows-installer-and-restart-manager-msi-files-in-use-v2.aspx😞

"If the package is authored such that the services detected by RM would be shutdown because of the authoring of the Service* tables then those services will not be displayed in the files-in-use dialogs."
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
phil3k
Level 2

I have the same problem now, how did you manage to solve it ?
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

acampeau wrote:
Under Windows Server 2008, when I uninstall my product I see my service listed in the processes that need to be stopped. However, this service is controlled by ServiceInstall and ServiceControl table entries which succesfully stops and deletes it on uninstall.

I was under the impression that this dialog wouldn't pop up and list my own service in this case which I confirmed with the following excerpt from the Windows Installer Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2006/12/11/windows-installer-and-restart-manager-msi-files-in-use-v2.aspx😞

"If the package is authored such that the services detected by RM would be shutdown because of the authoring of the Service* tables then those services will not be displayed in the files-in-use dialogs."

The behaviour would depend on How you configured your services with your installation project...what kinda IS project are you using?
0 Kudos
acampeau
Level 2

Since I couldn't solve the issue while using the Restart Manager, I ended up just disabling it by setting the "MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL" property to "Disable".
0 Kudos