cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewRich
Level 5

Remove platform-specificity from x86-targeted MSI

I have a Basic MSI installer that was targeted to x86 platforms (with a companion installer targeted to x64). We have removed the 64-bit components and would like to have a single installer that works on both platforms. However, the x86 installer refuses to run on x64 platforms.

The Platforms value on the x86 installer reads "Intel;1033" which according to what I've read should work for both. The Platforms value in the Release view is blank.

Where else can I look to remove the platform specificity and allow the single installer to work on x86 and x64?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The three places platforms can interrupt the install are:

• Template summary, as you describe. If it said x64 it would refuse to run on an x86 machine.
  • Launch Conditions. If a launch condition of the format NOT VersionNT64 is present, the package would exit on 64-bit machines.
  • Custom actions, including the type 19 error custom action. If a type 19 action with the condition VersionNT64 existed, it would exit on a 64-bit machine. Similarly scripted or C++ code custom actions can abort as they see fit by returning an error code.
0 Kudos
AndrewRich
Level 5

MichaelU wrote:

• Launch Conditions. If a launch condition of the format NOT VersionNT64 is present, the package would exit on 64-bit machines.

It was a Launch Condition. Thank you for your help!
0 Kudos