cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISRookie11
Level 2

Remove files from install, but not on an upgrade

Hello,

I am having a little trouble with an InstallShield project that I have inherited midway through its lifecycle. What I would like to do is remove several files from the project so that they won't be installed for anyone who is running the install for the first time, but I would prefer to leave these files for users who have already installed with a previous version.

When I remove the files from the Files and Folders view in and build my project i get several error messages that say something like:

"The file 'MyFile.txt' with a target of 'MyDirectory' appears to have been removed from the setup, but does not appear in the RemoveFile table. The file will not be removed from the target machine when an upgrade is run unless..."

What that error is describing is exactly what I want to happen (don't actually remove the file on an upgrade), but it makes me nervous since it is an error and not a warning. Is it safe to distribute it with those kind of errors? I have tested the upgrade as well as the install and they both appear to be doing exactly what I want them to do, but those errors are freaking me out a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
andrewcardy
Level 3

I'm in exactly the same position, does anyone know how to suppress this message, or otherwise deal with it?

Seems to be a feasible situation to support, also creeps me out that it's an error and not a warning at the most.

Thanks,

Andy.

ISRookie11 wrote:
Hello,

I am having a little trouble with an InstallShield project that I have inherited midway through its lifecycle. What I would like to do is remove several files from the project so that they won't be installed for anyone who is running the install for the first time, but I would prefer to leave these files for users who have already installed with a previous version.

When I remove the files from the Files and Folders view in and build my project i get several error messages that say something like:

"The file 'MyFile.txt' with a target of 'MyDirectory' appears to have been removed from the setup, but does not appear in the RemoveFile table. The file will not be removed from the target machine when an upgrade is run unless..."

What that error is describing is exactly what I want to happen (don't actually remove the file on an upgrade), but it makes me nervous since it is an error and not a warning. Is it safe to distribute it with those kind of errors? I have tested the upgrade as well as the install and they both appear to be doing exactly what I want them to do, but those errors are freaking me out a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Kudos