cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjacobsky
Level 3

Release Wizard - How do I output MSI file

I am trying to use the release wizard to output a single MSI. This is what I am doing - I choose media type network image - then I choose compress all files. Then I go through the rest of the wizard to build the output. It always outputs the setup.exe. How do I make the output an MSI? Ideally, I would like 1 build to output both exe and msi. Can I do that?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
SteveLovell
Level 5

Go to the Project assistant tab towards the top left of your screen, then go to Build installation which will be in the bottom right of your screen. Tick the single MSI package option and then click on build installations just below this.

Edit: this will create a single MSI image, to build an output with MSI and setup.exe you will need to use the release wizard.
0 Kudos
tjacobsky
Level 3

Yes, my question is - using the release wizard, how do I make a build of a release output both exe and MSI?
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

You can create two releases, one for compressed MSI and other for setup.exe and can use the batch build ..............
this would build both.
0 Kudos
SteveLovell
Level 5

Ah right, I didnt realise you could tick multiple options thanks for tidying my answer rrinblue22.
0 Kudos
tjacobsky
Level 3

I still don't know how to create a compressed MSI using the release wizard. This is my problem. I use the release wizard and choose Network Image as the media type. Next screen, I choose compress all files. Then I go through the wizard. It never asks me if I want to create exe or msi, it just always creates the exe. How do I tell the release that I want to create a compressed MSI?
0 Kudos
SteveLovell
Level 5

Just use the Project Assistant > Build Installation

This will produce both a single exe and single msi installation. You dont need to use the release wizard.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

In InstallShield 2009, the dialog after you choose to compress the files has a box for creating an installation launcher. Uncheck that and you get an MSI with all the files embedded. Don't know if that changed in 2010 or 2011.
0 Kudos
alegerlotz
Level 7

Are you using a licensed version of InstallShield?

If you have an evaluation copy, it doesn't matter what you select, you can only produce a Setup.exe. Once you license your copy you should be able to produce a .msi file.
0 Kudos
chunyu
Level 2

In Build Installation
I can find Single Executable & Internet & CD-ROM
BUT NO Single MSI Package
My project is InstallScript MSI Project
How do i output MSI file
0 Kudos