cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nagelfar
Level 2

Reinstalling Services on Windows 10 doesn't work

Note: This happens using Installshield 2016 Professional but also older Version.

I'm doing this install on Windows 7 and on Windows 10. It works perfectly well on Windows 7, not so much on Windows 10.

I have a Setup.exe that installs some files, replaces some text in some files and installs two services. The user to install the services has to be supplied during the install process.

Everything goes well for the first install on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. If I deinstall and afterwards reinstall everything works on Windows 7 but on Windows 10 the services don't get installed. At least they are not showing up under "Services". There are no errors in any of the logs. How could I go about debugging this without any obvious errors to go by?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

A verbose log may help you troubleshoot the issue. You may be able to find a reason why the underlying component of the service in question is not getting installed. KB article Q106551 explains how to create the log.
0 Kudos
nagelfar
Level 2

hidenori wrote:
A verbose log may help you troubleshoot the issue. You may be able to find a reason why the underlying component of the service in question is not getting installed. KB article Q106551 explains how to create the log.

So, if anyone stumbles in here: I managed to track it down to some file permission issues as in lacking "write" rights to a certain directory. Why this didn't show up in the logs nor stop the installer itself is anyone's guess.
0 Kudos