cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yeshman
Level 3

Registry entries being entered that don't inherit permissions?

When I look at other MSIs we have authored when they are extracting registry entries for COM or COM Interop, when they get installed the root keys are always marked as Allow Inheritable Permissions, and thus inherit the Users Read Only permission. But with a recently authored MSI we have a COM interop component that when it gets installed, the registry entry does not get this flag, so it only has permissions for the user that installed it, and the Administrators on the machine. I can't figure out what the difference is between these msi's. What would cause registry entries to be installed without the Allow Inheritable Permissions flag?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
yeshman
Level 3

anybody? Hasn't this happened to anyone else?
0 Kudos
Alexand_Lobanov
Level 2

We experience the same problem. We use IS12 SP2. I created merge module which registers .NET assembly for COM Interop. After that I added it to the Basic MSI Project of one of our main products. After successful installation to the clean Win XP SP2 there is no registry key permissions inheritance for the COM registry keys. That's why this component is not accessible from Windows Service Application and from GUI applications by not elevated users.

I tried to create new clean Basic MSI Project and included merged module into it. I had been surprised by the fact that after installation on the same computer my component registry keys had permission inheritance and I could access them from Windows Service.

What is the problem with my production Basic MSI which includes rather large amount of various merge modules and COM components? How can I solve the problem?
0 Kudos
Alexand_Lobanov
Level 2

I tried to register .NET assembly by using regasm.exe. And for my surprise :confused: registry entries inherits permissions. Can it be a bug in IS12:( ?
0 Kudos